The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.htaccess and .wmv Major Bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Planet_Master, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

Well major if you have a streaming media site....
    Very odd problem with .htaccess on all servers I tested this on concerning .wmv extensions.

First: DO NOT ADD .wmv as a mime type through cPanel and then add as rewrite rule to .htaccess it will crash your server and give 500 internal errors even after it is removed. You need to remove the corrupted line cPanel adds to .htaccess, same result on seven servers running RH9 - RHE 3 so this is a bug for sure.

Seems .wmv doesnt work when added to .htaccess. I know the files are set up correctly cause every other extension behaves as the should whether it be images, media files (mp3 etc), or compressed files (IE rar, exe etc)

First I added the following to .htaccess
    AddType video/x-ms-wmv .wmv and that was a disaster, Apache failed and server crashed

So then I tried adding the MIME through cpanel and same result.

Finally I just added it manually to httpd and no crash but wmv files will not play on the allowed domain even if I add the full URL path to the file. I know htaccess well and I know the rewrite rules are setup correctly cause every other extension behaves properly but wmv doesnt.

I read the other posts on this and Googled it to death, basically there is no answer so I thought Id give it another go.

Any ideas why wmv seems to be the only extension that htaccess cannot handle correctly? Could it be because the stream uses the WMP from your PC to stream the file?

This is embedded in the html just to clarify that.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Did you try adding the mime-type without the dot on the extension qualifier as suggested on Microsoft's site:

AddType video/x-ms-wmv wmv

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Might be worth checking that it's not an apache 1.3.3 bug.

4. Planet_Master

Yeah I tried both ways, even added asf MIME type since the two are so closely related. All the searches I found everyone has the same issue and couldnt find a definitive answer. Very odd. I will keep at it and if I get this resolved will post for others.

thx

5. Planet_Master

Its possible it is Apache, this is the error reported when trying to view the file in the page

80040241: Cannot perform the requested action
    Windows Media Player cannot perform the requested action. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

You tried to play a .dvr-ms file (such as a file created by the Personal Video Recorder (PVR) in Windows XP Media Center Edition), and your computer is not configured to play this type of file.
    To resolve the problem, see the Microsoft Download Center.

You tried to play a file type that is not supported by Windows Media Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see Supported file types.
    Error ID = 0x80040241, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Of course neither error has anything to do with it. The search goes on...