The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.htaccess for entire /home to stop wp-login.php bruteforce ...feasible?

Discussion in 'Security' started by qwerty, Jul 31, 2014.

1. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

Like for many others, our cpanel servers are getting hammered day in day out with wp-login.php login attempts.

Not on such a huge scale that they're causing trouble but I worry without any restrictions they're bound to brute force their way in to some of the customers' wordpress blogs.

This is NOT about mod_security - I am aware there are rules out there, but from what I've read they're either easily circumvented or create more issues then they solve.

What I had in mind was... putting a .htaccess in /home directly and specify directives in it such that whenever someone attempts to access wp-login.php anywhere under /home/ - they're subjected to a list of allowed IPs.

I can email my customers and get their static IPs to add to the list so that they're able to access wp-login.php

Is this feasible? What possible issues could I run into? Does Wordpress use wp-login.php for anything other than ADMIN login ... ie. do normal 'users' also use this script? (if so, then this would be a non-workable solution)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might find more help with questions like this on the wordpress support site. This link should be helpful, it mentions ideas like yours here:
    /http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

Disagree. You can never have too much security.

3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, this would work (a .htaccess in /home) but it's a lot of work to manage. And yes, normal users, not just admins, use wp-login.php.

I've used modsecurity successfully to defend WP brutes on over 10,000 servers. simply put, it works.

Most of the new brute forces are using the xmlrpc.php call anyway, not wp-login. I'm also defending against the xmlrpc.php brutes with modsecurity very successfully.

New Brute Force Attacks Exploiting XMLRPC in WordPress | Sucuri Blog

#3 quizknows, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014