Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

.htaccess in /home/username ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shannon, Oct 1, 2008.

1. shannon

shannon Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly, but I don't think I've ever seen an .htaccess file in /home/username affect the web contents in /home/username/public_html before. But right now I see that it is, atleast for one client on our systems.

I thought the .htaccess file belonged in public_html to protect anything in there and below it. (I know the .htaccess settings filter *down* from public_html into subfolders if there is no .htaccess in those subfolders).. but an .htaccess in /home/username? Am I mistaken and it's always worked like this, or has this recently changed?

2. E3sarcom

E3sarcom Registered

Hello,

Some clients used an .htaccess file in /home/username to exceed the uplading file size !
    They writing in it this code :
    PHP:
    php_value upload_max_filesize "10M" 
    The value "10M" may changed by the user as he wants :rolleyes:

So check the contents of the .htaccess in /home/username .

thank you.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The closer to / the .htaccess file is, the higher precedence is given its contents. cPanel in particular uses ~/.htaccess for a few things. Setting the specific PHP handler for the account, for example.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...