The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.htaccess Issue causing FTP to fail even from cPanel file editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmariomej, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cmariomej

cmariomej Member

Hi all, I need some advice from someone who knows the proper syntax of an .htaccess file.

My problem I guess started after installing a WordPress module that rewrites URLs to make them more friendly; when I first installed this module it worked ok. The blog is installed on a subfolder in my account. (mydomain.com/blog)

Later I wanted to add another link in the main menu to the main website (mydomain.com) so I figured out that creating a blank page and doing some redirection will work. I created the page and did some redirection using cPanel. When I went to check the website it was down, the whole thing even those static pages out of the blog were down. So I checked the .htaccess file and found out that by creating the redirection from cPanel did some damage to my custom .htaccess (I do not have a backup of the old one that was working before). I was able to correct the error and make the website available again but there is still one problem, FTP is failing and Dreaweaver says is because of file permissions. Not even editing using the file browser feature from cPanel works.

The more I try the more I realize I need to ask an expert. So here is my last resource. Below I'm pasting my current .htaccess file in the hope somebody can help:

PHP:
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase 
    /blog/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond 
    %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule 
    . /blog/index.php [L]
    </
    IfModule>

Options +Indexes 
    IndexIgnore 

php_value memory_limit  60M     
    php_value upload_max_filesize  50M
    php_value post_max_size  60M 
    RewriteCond 
    %{HTTP_HOST} ^mydomain.com$ [OR]
    The top part was added to make the blog work with the redirection plugin, the one at the bottom is the custom one which was changed. I will appreciate any input on this.

Thank you :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Confused here, you want to add a link on your site to another page, so you're going to add a redirect to get to it? You might want to go here for wordpress support.
    http://wordpress.org/support/forum/3
    Or search those forums for htaccess.
    http://wordpress.org/tags/htaccess

That module you installed may have one in the original zip, or you might find a default on one of the links above.

You might want to broaden your horizons past this forum to google for reading on how to use htaccess.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+use+htaccess

Or ask your host. They are the ones who support you. These forums support them.

3. cmariomej

cmariomej Member

HI, thank you for your response Infopro

HI, thank you for your response Infopro. I already solved the issue to add the link to the main page on WordPress so I no longer need this. I was just telling the whole story so that people can understand what I did and how I did it as I believe is important.
    What I'm asking for is to solve this FTP issue due to this .htaccess file misconfiguration. In the other hand I cannot ask my host... I'm the host :D

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Understood. ;)

Not sure what the deal is with dreamweaver though sorry to say. Of course if you renamed that htaccess so it was disabled, and try dreamweaver again and it works fine, then as you say, something is wrong in that file.

A good FTP client is always best to use for FTP access. Create the site, saved to dick at home, then upload it via an FTP client like CuteFTP for example. (my personal fav)

Good luck!

5. cmariomej

cmariomej Member

Hmmmm, I guess my best bet is to ask cPanel support itself because I already tested it with Filezilla and it didn't work so is not matter of the client, even WinSCP fails... anyways, may thanx for replying and for the good wishes.

Thanx ;)