The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

htaccess.txt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neiljames54, Feb 1, 2012.

1. neiljames54

neiljames54 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi Folks, wonder if you can help me with a .htaccess problem.

Just installed my first cms web site and I am looking to rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess.

file manager will not allow me to rename because .htaccess already exists, when I do a file search again the file exists but I cannot see the file in the public_html folder or the www folder, this is where my file search tells me the folder exists. Is it invisible or am I muissing something simple. have to copy contents of htaccess.txt into .htaccess but where is it !!.

hope you can help

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you go to File Manager in cPanel, it should have this on the first popup "Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)." which you would want to check. If you aren't seeing that option, then on the home cPanel screen, search for "reset all interface settings" and click it. You should then see the option when going to cPanel > File Manager to show hidden files.

3. neiljames54

neiljames54 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Worked thank you, 4 years i have used cpanel and never knew this, ah well ;)