The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTML Editor problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scotleag, Nov 7, 2005.

1. scotleag

scotleag Registered

Hi all. Hope someone can help. I've been using cpanel for around six months now and have only one problem. The WYSIWYG html editor acts rather erratically regarding punctuation, inserting all sorts of weird and wonderful symbols where I've actually used commas, exclamation marks, parentheses, question marks etc.

I'm on a Mac(G5 iMac, OSX 10.4.3) and presume this may be why I'm getting these odd outcomes. Is there anything I can do to resolve the issue? Otherwise I'm delighted with cpanel. I'd just like to be able to update/edit my website with it. At present any update just looks like a mess.

Thanks in advance.

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

To be honest, IMO, many browser based WYSIWYG's are rather limited in capabilty, especially with the manner in which they deal with special characters.

Since you already have at least 6 months of experience maintaining/creating web pages, why not graduate to the next level.

1. Search for an html editor that you can use on your MAC. There are many available costing anywhere from nothing to thousands of dollars AND even the free ones usually provide you with more "power" when it comes to formatting and presenting your pages.

2. Create/edit/maintain your web pages on your MAC.

3. FTP (file transfer program) your files from your MAC to your web space. Again, FTP clients can be had for free.

3. scotleag

scotleag Registered

Thanks but the problem is that I've been using Dreamweaver for the past four years. Now that I've upgraded to the new iMac my old version - used in OS9 - is no good as the new mac doesn't have Classic. And having forked out a substantial amount for the new iMac, I was hoping to avoid paying through the nose for new software.

Also the concept of a web-based html editor appeals thanks to its ability to update my site on any computer whereever I happen to be.

4. livesol

livesol Active Member

Did you get this resolved Scotleag, and if so, what did you do ?

5. scotleag

scotleag Registered

Not really. I sort of work around it by editing as normal using the wysiwyg web editor. Then, once I've seen the resulting page, I edit again, very carefully, making sure all special characters are rendered correctly from the insert menu.

I tried several programmes but none were any better than the web editor and decided against spending a few hundred quid on a new version of Dreamweaver just to deal with commas, apostrophes etc.

6. livesol

livesol Active Member

Thanks for replying Scotleag. Shame that a fix has not been properly found. We have a variety of clients that use Html Editor, and it was really handy. I really dont want to have to sort out another way for them to easily make slight textual adjustments.

But it looks like I may have to go that route. This strange characters on "save" seems to be mentioned in a few places on this forum, but I cant for the life of me find any mention of a fix.

:rolleyes:

7. aeroweb

aeroweb Well-Known Member

Our editor was running perfectly, up until the time we upgraded from 10.8.1-STABLE_114 to 10.8.2-RELEASE_83, which was sometime last week. Now we see the same unwanted characters everyone else is getting (Â) when we save a webpage using the editor.

Using <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> seems to fix the problem.

#7 aeroweb, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  8. electric

electric Well-Known Member

9. aeroweb

aeroweb Well-Known Member

SnippetMaster seems to be very similar if not almost identical to TinyMCE and TinyMCE its also 100% free :)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinymce/

WysiwygPro seems to work better then these other two editors and our clients are already use to it. I just wish Cpanel would hurry and fix it.

We had to move all our clients who use WysiwygPro to one of our servers that still runs build 10.8.1-S114. WysiwygPro works fine in this older build. It also works fine when you install it stand alone on a website. It seems Cpanel goofed in one of their updates and caused this issue?

My best guess is that this problem occurred either on 10.8.2 build 76 May 5 (Resolved bug with WysiwygPro HTML editor for IE when editing files within subdirectories) or 10.8.2 build 1 Feb 27 (Resolved bugzilla id 3812 - WysiwygPro vulnerability)?

Please fix this Cpanel so that we can update our server :)

#9 aeroweb, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  10. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I have a server on the same build because there are 3 customers who use the editor regularly.

Please make it safe to upgrade and let us know when we can.