The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Html or Cpanel... Why is there index and no home page??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smutt88, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Smutt88

Smutt88 Registered

I'm a complete newb at posting sites and I'm not sure how to get the home page up instead of the index page, I have uploaded html files onto the html_public folder but it wont load my home html when entered in a browser, is it something I haven't got in my code or is it something not loaded on to the c_panel????

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

May I know the error you are receiving while taking the domain in the browser?

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    By default, index.html is the home page. This is fairly standard across control panels and hosting platforms. Upload your home page into the public_html (not html_public) directory as index.html, and it will automatically be loaded when your site is accessed.

If you insist on using the filename home.html, you can click Redirects in cPanel and create a redirect from home.html to index.html. Alternatively, you can create a symlink on the filesystem from index.html to home.html. However, using index.html is the standard, and index.html is the page you need to replace when you upload your site.

4. Smutt88

Smutt88 Registered

Thanks very mych this has done the job

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, there is a much simpler way to change to home.html over index.html rather than using a redirect or a symlink. If you put the following into /home/username/public_html/.htaccess file (in File Manager, select to view hidden files and then open the file .htaccess in public_html folder):

Code:
    DirectoryIndex home.html
    Here is a discussion on Apache's site about this directive:

mod_dir - Apache HTTP Server

This is the preferred method to have another page display as the main default page over other methods as it parses this page first.