The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTML with cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rottie_site, Sep 21, 2004.

1. rottie_site

rottie_site Registered

I'm building my website and the host site offers cPanel, which is completely foreign to me. I'm use to the site building capabilities given by Geocities and Angelfire, so needless to say, cPanel is a whole new world to adapt to!

The problem is I'm converting my site from a free angelfire account and my plan was just to copy/paste my website content over to my new server. The site template is all designed and the information is set, its just getting it to the right server under my new domain name.

I tried using the File Manager since that seemed to be my best bets for accomplishing the above. I copied over my HTML code, put it in a blank and uploaded my files. But I can't give a link to the files because I don't have the full HTTP where they are actually located. I did put all my image files in the public_HTML file, under IMAGES. How do I figure out the full location of my images to put it in the (img src="") tag?

In addition, using the file manager, how do I get my Index page (www.my site.com/index.html) .... is there a way to build a site with cPanel using HTML? If so, how do I get my files where they need to be so I can launch my website?

Thankyou in advance for the help, I know thats a lot of questions to ask but I'm hoping someone here can help me. My server was a complete bust when I asked for help, we corresponded with half a dozen e-mails and while he tried to answer my questions, it didn't see like we were on the same page as far as the question I was asking. Hopefully someone here can help.

- Dana -

2. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

Well, you can use the relative path of your images and pages by doing ./IMAGES/sun.gif ex:
    img src ="./IMAGES/sun.gif"
    In cpanel, if you select File Manager, You can browse the files, then you press add a File. Then you select the type you want it to be( in your case HTML document) and call it however you want .html for example, if you want your first page of the site to appear, you would create a new file into /public_html/ called index.html.
    And, if he is not even able to answer theses questions, Change host :P

3. rottie_site

rottie_site Registered

awesome! my page links are working and it was like a lightbulb went on as to how this system works. But I still cannot get the image link to work. It shows up as blank, even though the files are uploaded correctly. What am I missing? I tried the code you suggested and variations of it but still to no avail. The image shows up fine when I go into where its located and ask to see it.

4. rottie_site

rottie_site Registered

nevermind, I played around with it some more and its finally showing! I was missing the domain name put into the image tag ... so instead of having /image/photo.jpg it has to be www.yourwebsite.com/image/photo.jpg

:)

5. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

If you post a URL to your site here we can take a look at the source code and tell you where the images need to be.

Also on Unix everything is case sensitive so if your image is called for instance Image.jpg you have to make sure your code calls Image.jpg and not image.jpg.

6. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack Registered

arg!

hello everyone. i'm trying to keep from being redundant. this post helped me out, but i still can't get to my webpage, and i don't know if it's a host issue or it's a bad html editing issue. my theoretical site is at http://www.ld50clan.net , and i already created an index.html in the public_html folder. isn't that all i really need to get the first page of my site available to everyone on the net? is there anything else i need to do? (my host is oktagone, if anyone else is with them.) i'm just like dana here.. i had a webpage with geocities before this one.

-Sirius Black

7. cPanelJason

cPanelJason Staff Member
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider