.htpasswds: Incorrect permissions

richy

Jun 30, 2003
We've had one user (so far) complain about the WysiwygPro editor not allowing him to login to edit the pages (FileManager->Click File->Click WysiwygPro editor->New window opens with login details->Copy login details).

I then created a "Password Protected Directory/Web Protect" via cPanel, but was unable to login with the details I entered. I deleted the /home/USERNAME/.htpasswds folder and tried again (which forced cPanel to recreate that folder anew), but again without success.

Looking into the issue showed the permissions of the folder thusly:
drwxr-x--- 2 USERNAME USERNAME 4096 Mar 1 19:06 .htpasswds/
when they should have been (according to other servers):
drwxr-xr-x 2 USERNAME USERNAME 4096 Mar 1 19:06 .htpasswds/
(i.e. "other" cannot read/execute that folder)

Any idea why this (100% repeatable on that account) problem occurs and how to permanently fix it. We were running on RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-E40 , but tried upgrading to WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-E3 but there was no difference. We're running phpSuExec/suExec as well.

richy

Jun 30, 2003
I know all that - it's not the issue.

Basically, whenever CPANEL automatically created the /home/USERNAME/.htpasswds folder, it sets it with permissions of 750 instead of 755 which prevents logins.

This folder is automatically created when:
- The "HTML Editor" in the "File Manager" is started
- A user selects the "Password Protect Directories/Folders" option on their cPanel control panel

We've had this occur with a second server (and user) so it's definetly a bug in WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-E3 and some earlier versions.