Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Https issue when migrating

Discussion in 'Security' started by yagami_kira, Mar 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. yagami_kira

yagami_kira Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi folks,

I'm using a VPS server with private nameservers. Now, I noticed that recently, cPanel has a new feature called AutoSSL and are already providing free SSL certificates. Therefore we can now access our website through https which is a good thing. I will be arranging all links so everything will show https

But there's one issue I'm worried about. What if I'll be migrating soon to a new VPS provider, will the simple method of copying the cPanel account to the new server retain this SSL certificate? Because as far as I know, the SSL certificate provided for free by cPanel will only work specifically on the server it was installed to. Besides, cPanel will not install an SSL certificate to a new server if the DNS of the domain does not resolve to that server.

If that is the case, during DNS migration (24 to 72 hours), there will be visitors who will see browser warning errors on the new server until DNS migration completed and cPanel installs the free certificate automatically. Is there a workaround for this? Or am I understanding things incorrectly?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. yagami_kira

yagami_kira Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes, we do intend to use the Transfer Tool. But after that is done, is there a special method to install the free SSL certificate provided by cPanel manually on the new server even before we change the DNS IP in the domain registrar?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No I don't believe there is.

5. Adrian S.

Adrian S. Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks - Removed Link -
    This is what I was looking for, I spent 20 hours working on my server just to find the solution here.