The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljesh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

I am having one problem.
    I have a client which wants to transfer to my cpanel server. But I noticed something bad: he has an account with another company which wants me to transfer to my server, with the same username as I already have a client as a reseller.
    Does someone knows a way how to solve this? I cannot rename the existing account since will cause me many troubles and he is a reseller which may be even more troubles, and I cannot rename the new client account since I don't have permissions and the current hosting company wants to remove the account and re-create it, which is bad because the client will loose 15GB of data.
    Anyone, please?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    On the Copy account page there is an option to change the local username on the fly I suspect. Have not tried it yet. See the "Account Info" box for that option.

A 15GB account is going to be problematic here though I bet. You might rather setup the new account manually them rsync the files to the new server. Or pack/move/unpack by hand even.

Just a few thoughts.

3. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

I am willing to pack/unpack the backup.
    I cannot use WHM copy account since I don't have ssh access on the second server, the client is simply an end user.

I cannot restore the backup since that username already exists on my server. I would like to change my second (new) client's username, but I dont know how... all I have is the backup.

I am still waiting for some reply and help :(

4. lngtanseco

lngtanseco Well-Known Member

If you have a couple of servers, you may want to try this idea.

1. Do a full cpanel backup from the old server of your client.
    2. Upload to temporary server which you have control and do not have conflict of username/s.
    3. Install the backup.
    4. Change the username, then do a full cpanel backup.
    5. Upload to the server where you really want this installed. This time it should not conflict anymore as the username has been changed from the above step.

Transferring data may take a while as you mentioned it is 15GB data.

Good luck.

#4 lngtanseco, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Where is the backup? On the old server on this new clients old account? Ask him to move it to public_html and use wget to bring it over then.

If you have the new client setup manually in advance, and wget the backup over to it, then unpack to a tmp directory, you're off to the races.

Personally I'd have the user clean up the account first if possible, or explain and do it myself. You might be moving many GB of log files which would be worthless to move IMHO.

6. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

lngtanseco, that is very good idea which I think may work, but I got only 1 server so I can't try it :(
    On my own server I got a reseller with username xxx let's say. A week ago I got a new client which has 15GB of website hosted elsewhere and wants me to transfer it to my server, wants to be hosted by me now on. But his username is also xxx. I made full backup and wget-ed it to my server, but I couldn't restore it since I got already same username (the reseller guy).
    So, I cannot change my reseller's username since he has 40 accounts under him and that may cause problems, and I don't have privileges to change the username of the new client since I don't have access on the old server to do that.
    It's wallpapers website with 5000+ wallpapers so he is really using that space.

I am stuck... I hope I find a way, don't want to loose this client. Any help is appreciated.

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    IMHO, if a bulk of the account is static stuff like wallpapers, back it up separately and move it separately. If stripping that off makes the account small enough to move via WHM, it might be an option. This way you should be able to edit the username on the fly, mentioned above during the cpmove.

Or, recreating just the reseller on the new server (using a new username) and then moving his accounts one by one might be another option. You can edit owner of the accounts easy enough afterwards.

I think you'll just have to be creative here. Waiting for a perfect idea from the forums might never come. ;)

You might also put in a ticket to cPanel support desk and ask for their suggestions. Those guys are great.

8. ljesh

ljesh Well-Known Member

Thanks alot Infopro! I did this and the account now is restored successfully.
    That was suggestion of cpanel team, thank you too cpanel!

Now the only problem remained access logs and awstats. If someone could give me a hint where are they saved and where should I restore them.

Thanks again alot!

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    awstats is in the home/username/tmp directory. domlogs are in /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ If you moved the account normally these should have carried over.

Anyway, good luck. :)