Hundreds of spam messsages never caught by SA

Hans L

Dec 18, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello:

I am hosted by WebHostingHub, and I do not think they give me much spam-fighting capability. However, I have their SpamAssassin activated, with a setting of 5, but no other settings made by me.

While a lot of spam is caught by SA, hundreds of spam messages comes through every single day. And they contain such typical spam text (e.g., "No surgery saggy skin reduction at home") that I am astounded that they are not flagged as spam by SA.

I would very much appreciate a possible explanation and/or advise on what to do.

Best regards,

Hans L

Hans L

Dec 18, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Storminternet, thanks, but I must ask you, do you know how many domain names you could create from, say, 20 letters out of the 26 we have in the English alphabet? (I tried to calculate it, but I could not find the correct combinatorics formula for it; however, it is a LARGE figure).

Regards,

Hans L

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Hans.

Do you have things like DKIM and SPF configured.
These will help to reduce spam by checking the sending domain against who's actually authorised to send from that domain.

Also in Exim config, you can add additional RBL's

Do you have CSF installed.
Csf has predifined IP blocklists you can employ.

Failing all of the above, I'm lead to believe that CSF mailscanner has spam fighting capabilities, but this is a paid for service.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

It's difficult to address the issue without root access to the server. Have you reported the problem to your web hosting provider to see if they can implement some additional rules to help prevent SPAM?

Thank you.