The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I accidently chown -R my server ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PHPEcono, May 21, 2008.

1. PHPEcono

PHPEcono Active Member

Hey guys ... first of all, i know a few of you are gona laugh at this ... it's really a stupid situation. I got my self "SSH Explorer" and typed "chown -R phpecono" all i had to do was type the patch. to be 100% certain of it i cliqued og the left pan side the ../ to get out of the root and by accident it executed my command on ../ ... :(

I managed to get my self a new server because it broke it to much ... but i am having some problems to copy accounts to the new server. i get "Verifying tarball checksum.....Checksum Failed.. The filecopy had a problem!"

Can anybody help me? i tryed this on my old server hopping it would help the transfer process

chown -R root /home
    chmod -r 0777 /home

it did'int change a thing. i log as root when i try to make the transfer.

2. wolfy

wolfy Well-Known Member

well the surest way to transfer your sites would be to manuely create a tar.gz archive of each website and upload/transfer to a new existing account with the same username. ofcourse sql db's will have to be manuely copied as well.

if you look in /scripts/ you might find somthing which may repair things enough for you to get some areas running, but i would stick to the manuel method. Less likely to have any unwanted surprises with a manuel transfer.