The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am scared DNS Move

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gunmuse, Mar 24, 2004.

1. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

I have registered and am running my own dns. I have two servers. The main server is getting old and I am changing it but it runs my dns.

So Server1 my master
    Server2 my slave

Server3 my new hot box.

Here is what I have done Since I can't move th ips I registered ns3 and ns4 with ips on the Server3.

So I can do a site to site transfer but I don't want any downtime. So I am thinking move the DNS first Move the Shared Ip sites next and move the dedicated ips last.

How do I proceed?
    How do I turn down TTL?
    When should I make Server 2 a slave of Server 3?
    How should I do that?
    Frankly How do I keep from going down for two days and having to explain to customers this is the first time I ever tried a box to box DNS move.

I am sure this will help a bunch of other people scared of their box moves as we all upgrade to Enterprise from 7.3 or what ever.

Thanks.

2. gunmuse

Any help. Any One.

3. hostseeker

hostseeker Well-Known Member

4. gunmuse

Yeah I found that one.

My cpanel is erroring out each and every account during the move. So I must have a problem.

Also for anyone else thinking of a move when you have to move the DNS as well.

Let me say START THE DNS. cpanel say bind is started well it doesn't mean its serving the dns even though I had the servers clustered and all three saying that the new one was the master in the cluster. No error was issued to me to tell me I forgot to turn on the DNS. Make it idiot proof and they will build a better idiot. That was me on this move.

My DNS has moved but my sites have not and I have a trouble ticket in fo rthat now.

5. bking

bking Well-Known Member

Here is how I transferred all sites from a non cPanel box to a cpanel box on a different IP.

ns1 is the current box. ns2 is an offsite secondary DNS.
    I registered the new cpanel box's IP as dns01

Now, as the old box is non cpanel I just move them all manually.

create account on new box.

transfer web/mail/anything else.

now set the secondary (ns2) to use the new dns01 as the master so it will update from the new box.

Copy the zone file over to the old ns1 so that it serves the current content of the zone.

For the domains I have control over, I redelegate to dns01 and ns2. For the ones I dont...no biggie as the old ns1 is serving the new zone details.

Once all sites are transferred, change the IP for ns1 in both the zone file and via the registrar as being a registered DNS server to the same IP as dns01.
    Hope I havn't left anything out :)

Hope this makes sense.. :)