The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can´t get DNS to work in VPS via cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mvel001, Sep 19, 2011.

1. mvel001

mvel001 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello People, I am new to VPS and feeling lost on this question of DNS.

I signed a VPS plan which says have "1 dedicated IP" , and since I can´t set properly DNS records, some people told to me I need at least 3 dedicated IPs to work ok, one for apache, the others for ns1 and ns2 servers.

I think the problem has another cause, so I would like to know if someone here have signed a domain.com "standard cPanel" linux plan, which is the one I did with 1 dedicated IP.

I entered VPS root and created an account something.org, this domain is registered ok and was working ok in another hosting service, but when appoint it to new VPS DNS, this domain dissapears from internet after some hours.

I made print screen of DNS functions -> Edit DNS Zone on cPanel to see what looks DNS for this domain , you can see at http://i53.tinypic.com/2utqhl0.jpg ,

I set ns1 and ns2.managemyvps.com on my registrar entry just to see my domain vanish from the net.

If someone dispose to help me and need another cPanel screen with DNS info, please let me know and I will post here.

Thanks

Miguel

2. mvel001

mvel001 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Just to clear this matter, I am not interested in creating my own nameserver like ns1.mydomain.com or something else, I only want a single nameserver that really WORKS, like other DNS I used in the past, where it was enought go to registrar and put the name hosting services told to me in DNS field and voila ! some hours later domain is ready.

By analyzing cPanel info (I am new to cPanel also), it appeared to me that ns1.managemyvps.com and ns2.managemyvps.com were designed to perform that task for ANY domain I supposely were to create into VPS, since every one had an IP associated, and tracing-route for them displayed right data for DNS on the net.

So first thing I made was go registrar to place ns1 and ns2.managemyvps.com in DNS fields and then wait some hours for the miracle to happen.

But miracle never came, then I was obligued to try all annoying paths like "create your own DNS", "add A record" and else to solve problem.

My question is: was I wrong into my first assumption? (that ns1.managemyvps should solve this question by default)

thanks

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'd need to speak with your host to ask them if they offer nameservers you can use. managemyvps.com does not resolve for me.

4. mvel001

mvel001 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I asked them but they delay a lot to answer, I am still awaiting

I found here a thread with same problem in same hosting , this guy got to solved using customer nameserver

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/need-help-setting-up-nameserver-227951.html

I followed these instructions trying to solve the same way, but although I had success to create customer nameservers on registrar, these nameservers doesn´t does´t existe for internet, since making trace-route it says doesn´t exists

I am still awainting propagation to confirm

thanks

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  6. mvel001

mvel001 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When checking my custom nameserver intodns, it says "WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records."

I learnt this can occur because firewall is blocking port 53. Does anybody know how check if port 53 is ok on cPanel? or else free port 53?

thanks

7. mvel001

mvel001 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I got so solve DNS question in VPS. I was fooled by cPanel DNS functions -> nameservers IPs , there it shows two IPs related to authoritative DNS , then I took these two IPs to my own DNS which produced the fail. When I replaced these two IPs by the unique IP of VPS (yes, my plan has just one IP, I repeated same IP for ns1 and ns2), my domain became alive again to the net.

But now some people are warning to me that this is a "not good" solution, and I should get two another IPs from my hosting to use into DNS.

This would obligue me to upgrade for a more expensive plan, then I would like from experiencied people whether just stay here or pay twice more bucks to be secured

thanks in advance

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Having two IPs on the same physical machine isn't really a necessity, since you would have them on the same machine in the same location. If you aren't going to put the nameservers onto another machine, then there's really little need to have different IPs for both nameservers. The only concern on the same physical machine if both have the same IP would be if that IP went down and the other IP were still online. That rarely occurs on the same machine, which is why it really doesn't matter a great deal if you have both on different IPs unless you plan to put the nameservers on different physical machines.