The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can´t see my files in cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by liquidamail, Dec 20, 2010.

1. liquidamail

liquidamail Registered

Hello Guys,

I mounted a new VPS and I'm having some problems:

1 - When I get the files via FileZilla, there is no problems, connection ok, but when I open my cPanel, the folder / public_html shown as empty!

"This directory is empty."

2 - I did the test in FileZilla, I put an - test.html - file via ftp - with the text "enabled", and runs perfect. But still this does not appear in the test.html file manager in cPanel.

Another detail is when I try to run a PHP file, I get the error message 500 - Internal Server Error

Is it some setting in whm?? I'm lost ... again!

If you can, help me!

2. Ozcan

Ozcan Registered

I've had the same problems as you are having. I managed to fix the Server 500 error easily but not the best of solutions. With this problem your current php handler is not present or non-functional. Go into WHM under

Service Configuration->Configure PHP and SuExec
    and change the php handler.

Here's my settings at the moment.

Default PHP Version (.php files) 5
    PHP 5 Handler dso
    PHP 4 Handler none
    Apache suEXEC off​

As for the other problem with File Manager under CPanel the directory listing is not shown - not sure how to fix this. (There are few search results from google for this term.)

ps: I am running WHM 11.28.52 [TRIAL]
    CENTOS 5.5 x86_64

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you see an "internal server error" on one of your sites, first check the PHP handler. You are probably using suPHP. Find which PHP handler you are using by clicking, in the WebHost Manager, Main >> Service Configuration >> Configure PHP and SuExec.

If you are using suPHP, the exact error will be logged to either the error_log or suphp_log, but most likely error_log. Log into the shell as root, and use the tail -f command to watch the log file while you try to load the site in your browser. Use the following command:

Code:
    # tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    This will show you the contents of the log file while it is being written. Now try to load the page. You can press Ctrl+C to stop the tail command and return to the shell command prompt. You can use the same command to monitor the suphp_log, which can also be helpful. Simply replace /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log with /usr/local/apache/logs/suphp_log in the tail -f command.

Most likely, an internal server error in suPHP will be caused by a permissions or ownerships problem. By looking directly at the log, you can find the exact problem, with no need to guess. Directories used under suPHP need 755 permissions or less, and files used under suPHP need 644 permissions or less. Neither files nor directories should be writable by everybody (the last digit in the three-digit permissions values). Also, all files and directories used under suPHP need to be owned by the account user and group, not root or nobody.

If you upload your files via FTP as the cPanel account user, the required permissions and ownerships will be applied automatically. If you use any other method to place your files on your server, such as uploading as root, permissions and ownerships are likely to be suspect and will probably need to be changed.

You may find the following sections of our documentation helpful:

Apache PHP Request Handling

Apache PHP Request Handling

4. wayne_mu

wayne_mu Member

The 500 - Internal Server Error is mostly caused due to incorrect file permissions or the ownership for the particular files/directories. (on SUPHP server) . Make sure that the permissions for files is 644 and 755 for the directories.

You can investigate the exact issue by checking the error logs you get in :-

Also, another possibility is the .htaccess code (if any) .

esds Data Center