The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I changed the hostname - should I have?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gwgraham, Jul 22, 2008.

1. gwgraham

gwgraham Registered

Hi. I'm a complete newbie with whm and server administration generally. While setting up my new dedicated server, I clicked on hostname under networking setup and understood from what it said that I should modify the hostname to one of my own making. I duly did this changing it from the original value (which was something random like 34jrwe3485.rsclientdns.com) to nylvi.rsclientdns.com.
    Then prompted to add an A entry, I did so (or think I did).

I have to admit I didn't really know why I was doing this, but I did it. Pretty soon, I started to get the feeling I shouldn't have. I now received an email from cpanel detecting a dns problem. See below. Could someone advise me in simple terms on what I have done and how I should fix it (or reverse the change?) Thanks.

--

Problems with dns setup on nylvi.rsclientdns.com

The hostname (nylvi.rsclientdns.com) resolves to . It should resolve to 10.0.6.147. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
    /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you
    believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to automaticly correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager

2. cPanelBrandonM

Hello,
    Are you running private nameservers or using your webhosts nameservers?

3. cPanelBrandonM

The hostname typically needs to be a fully qualified domain name that resolves to the server. IE: server.domain.com. It looks like your datacenter set up the server with a fake hostname. You will need to change this to a domain name owned by you. Once that has been done, you will need to add an A record to the nameservers you use for domain resolution for the hostname, pointing it to your main server IP address. Please let me know if you have any questions.

4. mhmjr

mhmjr Member

I see that the hostname/domain name you posted is using the following nameservers per a 'whois'
    ns1.rapidswitch.com
    ns2.rapidswitch.com

Those are the nameservers that will need to have your domains zonefile and the individual A records the zone would contain. Alternatively, you can change the authorative nameservers to point to your own or any other nameserver you can add records to. Also the IP address you mentioned in the error is a 'reserved' IP which makes it seem as if the server is behind a firewall. If this is the case, the IP's you need added to DNS will not be the 10.0.x.x IP but the public IP's on your firewall that map to the address mentioned in the error.