The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I deleted /home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jasgot, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jasgot

jasgot Well-Known Member

now what?

I have backups....

I am hopeful that I can just extract homedir from the user.tar.gz backup and put it back into the /home folder.

I did not delete the accounts, only the contents of the /home folder

Any ideas?

2. jer2eydevil88

jer2eydevil88 Member

You can restore the backups by extracting them and putting the files back but permissions will be lost/damaged and that will take a lot of time.

You may be better off with a system restore where you just restore multiple backups from there. To do that you reformat your server if you rent a server you can ask the datacenter to do an OS reload.

If I was in your shoes I would do a system restore, I am not an expert in recovery but that seems like the fastest way to get everything back up.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

couldn't you just make sure /home is in there, go into WHM / backup restore multiple accounts and select them and don't tell it to recreate the account? ..or you could just use /scripts/killacct for each account and the ncompletely restore each one it was a fresh box from backups. no need for OS install. the os is fine right? you still have all you backups and your cpanel settings and accounts and all your packages right? this saves all that time.

4. jasgot

jasgot Well-Known Member

This would be great, but I can't get WHM to see the files when I select anything other than Full Backup/CPMove file.

I did terminate and restore each account. It has gone well, save for two account that have SSL, the ssl is not working.....Hmmmmmm

All packages and other setting were in tact! Thank goodness.