The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did something stupid with my backup file [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by phyllismc, Mar 12, 2006.

1. phyllismc

phyllismc Member

I did something stupid with my backup file

I did a full backup.
    And of course, it put the backup in the home directory.

Well, while trying to figure out how to download the sucker to my own hard drive (to keep a copy myself), I stupidly moved the backup into the public_html directory. :eek: (Don't ask; I'm pleadin the 5th.)

I thought, "No biggie. I'll just move it back into the home directory where it belongs."

BUT it doesn't show up, even though cpanel clearly states that the backup was moved into public_html. :eek:

Where is it? Is there a reason it doesn't show in that directory?
    How can I move it back where it belongs? :confused:

:(

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

It's permissions probably don't allow it to be viewable in that directory. chmod it to match the other files in that directory, and it'll probably show up.

(I'm assuming you're using file manager in cpanel to move it?)

3. phyllismc

phyllismc Member

LOL . . . thanks mate, that makes sense. Yes, I was using the file manager.
    I went back to try to figure out how to do what you suggested (chmod a file that I can't see - LOL) and lo and behold it was showing up this time! :p I don't know why.

I had done everything I could possibly think of, and finally gave up and closed out my cPanel.
    But when I came back on several hours later to try your suggestion, it was there finally.

But I'm glad I asked anyway, because I had not even thought about the permissions of the files (except SQL directories). Now I will remember to always consider that in the future.
    Thanks! :D