The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to start? (new with linux)

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by mike2004, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mike2004

mike2004 Registered

Sep 16, 2005
    Hello everyone,

After months of research I finally find a right hosting panel (cPanel) to start up my hosting company and I’m glad that I am here now :) I’m very new with Linux and need some help to install my Linux OS, Partioning, and etc. I’m going to list my questions in numbers and I would appreciate on any feedbacks:

*** System I purchased:

Dell SC420 PowerEdge
    2 X 80 GB ATA Hard Disks
    2.6 Intel
    256 Memory

*** Questions:

1) I would like to know if 2 x 80 GB Drives would be enough to start with. Currently I only have 5 hosting accounts and I don’t know how many clients I will bring in after launching my hosting website! Should I get a bigger hard disk just to be safe? Should I get multiple hard disks to separate OS Drive vs. Data? (I’m coming from a Windows Environment and I’m not sure if the same concepts apply to Linux Environment!)

2) How should I partition these drives to work fine with cPanel? (I mean size)

3) To save some money for my startup I decided to go with free linux OS and after researching I decided to go with CentOS 4.1 vs Fedora 4. Did I made the right decision?

4) Can I add more space to my server in the future if I need to?

5) Can I add more memory to my server in the future if I need to?

6) How many NICs I should have in my server for the best performance?

7) Since I’m running behind firewall, what ports I should leave open for my cPanel Server?

8) What about disaster recovery for my server? What would be the right way of doing this with cpanel? (the way I do this in windows environment is to backup my files nightly on a USB2.0 drive + on tape every week and making backup CD every month).

9) How about installing the OS? Do I need to customize it at the installation screen or I should go minimal? (my concern is about running SQL and don’t know if this needs to be at the same time of the OS installation or should done while installing the CPanel).

10) How about ColdFusion? How can offer ColdFusion with my CPanel to my clients? Is this even possible to do?

11) How about charging credit cards with my Cpanel automatically? I already have my merchant account ready to go and currently I accept all major credit cards! Can I incorporate my merchant system with CPanel?

Thanks you very much for taking your time on these questions and helping me with my challenge.

#1 mike2004, Sep 16, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Lewisville, Tx
    You need to hire a System Admin plain and simple.
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Mike, if you IM me I can probably answer a lot of your questions. I can also probably help you with a lot of what you are trying to do.

I just started and went through a lot of what you are going through already, I can tell you what not to do, as well as what has worked for me.

I am really looking for someone who is in the same position as I am to form a partnership with, if that intrests you I dont know we could talk about that later.

My im is up in the right corner.