The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't see anything

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polonium, Nov 23, 2009.

1. polonium

polonium Registered

Hi there,
    Just got webhosting service. I have all my website written in html files in my computer. First astonishing details:
    1) when I go to the address bar of Firefox and typewrite my domain nothing will show up.
    2) when I go to the address bar of Firefox and typewrite the temporary domain they gave me 'before DNS resolution' (72 hours ago), the website seems to be hijacked by some advertiser.

And then I go to Cpanel. I upload my index.html file in the public.html directory by using file manager (am I doing it right?) and setting the protections to 664. Then I would say, okay, I should have uploaded my front page!. But I repeat 1) and 2) and still got the same thing. Additionally, when I use the look up tool in Cpanel to look for my domain, nothing comes out. Am I skipping any previous step to make my domain work?

Any suggestions? Anyone else with the same problem out there?

Thanks

2. mickbeng

mickbeng Well-Known Member

You shall check with your DNS setting if you have the correct NameServers set.

BUT, you are advise to clear the hijacked script before publish the site to public.

Lastly, you may use intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health to check the DNS healthy report as it might help you before the domain propagation.

3. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

On a side note : Ideally permissions for all your files should be set to 644 and directories (barring public_html) to 755.
    public_html can be set to 750

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You really should contact your host so that they can help you get your site up and running as soon as possible.

Good Luck

5. polonium

polonium Registered

Thank you very much for your answers.

Infopro: I've already done that, but I haven't got any reply yet and I submitted two tickets three days ago. I am starting to think I should cancel the service right away.

Instacarma_tech: I have changed everything to 755 and still nothing works.

Mickbeng: When I use your DNS health website with my domain nothing comes out, but something like 'Can't get nameservers at parent server!<br>I only check domains not subdomains!'. How can I check my DNS settings or how can I see or change them? I have gone to cpanel help but it seems it only gives info for the webhost (ie the webhosting company), not for me. I got an email the first day from a company's guy saying 'Please set your nameservers for your hosting account to the domains below', and he gave me my domain name, username, password and two server names. I think that is related to your comment. How can I solve it?

Sorry for my incompetence. :(

Thanks

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I would find a new host if they hadn't contacted me back in three days, absolutely. :p

If your host handles your domain name as well, it's up to them to sort out your nameservers. If you manage the domain yourself at some place like godaddy, you'll need to login to there and edit the nameservers for your domain to point to the server correctly.

Those correct details are also provided to you by your host.

7. polonium

polonium Registered

Hi,
    I am dealing here with gothosting.org for webhosting. I don't really understand what you are asking me infopro, I don't really know if I manage my domain all by myself. Anyways how could I edit the nameservers for my domain to point to the server correctly with Cpanel?

Thanks

8. DirectHorizon

DirectHorizon Member

Polonium you have to set your nameservers at your registrar to the nameservers your hosting company use...If you do not know your nameservers
    then you will need to contact your hosting company.

You can find out who your registrar is and what your nameservers are currently set to by typing your domain name in the whois DNSstuff

9. polonium

polonium Registered

Direct Horizon: Thanks for your hint. When I enter my domain in the link you gave me it says 'not found'. I do have the name of the servers, I got them by email from the hosting company. How can I change/access the registrar?

Thanks

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As I said, if you're unsure, your host is the person that can help. Look close at your bills/emails from them. Do they mention you purchased a domain name with them for the account?

Or, do you have other email there from someplace like godaddy for example. If you have email from a domain name registrar, in it might be your login to access the settings to change the nameservers.

At this point there's really not much anyone can do for you without you knowing your own details for the account.

On the gothosting.org site it does show they offer a free domain name with some accounts. If that's the case for you here, you're stuck until they get back to you. Keep contacting them, I would.
    gothosting.org/contact.php

11. mickbeng

mickbeng Well-Known Member

Agree with Infopro, the problem not came from the hosting server with cPanel of yours, but it is related to the NameServers not set correctly.

Keep email them and said that URL is not valid.