The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i hate to sound stupid...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beano923, Mar 30, 2005.

1. beano923

beano923 Registered

i hate to sound stupid but what is cpanel? is it a program used to make ur computer a server where u can store web pages? because i stumbled across this because of a link on a web page that said something about cpanel (site is not configured for this ip blah blah blah) when i tired to go to an ip address so what is cpanel? is it a program that is used to make a computer an internet site server?

can someone please answer...

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You can find more information on cPanel on the web site: http://www.cpanel.net/

Essentially, cPanel is software designed to help maintain a web hosting environment. It helps eases tasks such as creating user accounts, email accounts, etc. etc.

3. beano923

beano923 Registered

so what is a "web hosting environment" and how is it created? and how do u make a web site server... like for example say i wanted to host a web site on my computer instead of using a service... how would i do that? with a program like c panel? or something else? so lemme get this straight... c panel is used to "eases tasks such as creating user accounts, email accounts, etc. etc" so it is used to manage a web host?

(p.s. i know html and i know how to ftp and stuff but i never have understood (i think thats spelled wrong) how to host a web site on my own computer ive always used some where like geocities or web1000 or 50 megs or topcities or other various host.... also is c panel used to make using your computer as a web server easier? is it designed to make ur computer a web server or what is it?)

(p.p.s. im kinda slow haha well some one plz post i have to go right now... its 10
    :20 where i live and i have to get up for school (im 13 y/o) but some1 plz post and ill see it tommorow)

#3 beano923, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

A hosting environment is essentially a server ( computer ) thats dedicated to the purpose of serving up web pages. You can set up your own server locally, though to use cpanel you would need a computer at home with a dedicated IP running one of the supported linux distro's ( with a clean server install ), and a cPanel license. Of course you need to ensure your ISP will allow you to run servers, as most don't.

You don't need cpanel to host your own site, its generally used by web hosts to provide convenience to customers. If you have a local machine you wish to use for this purpose, you may be better off installing the services on their own, unless you need the functionality that cPanel provides.