The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 5 ip's, but only one is available under "Change Sites IP Address"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cam94z28, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

I have 5 ip's available on my server, yet if I try to change a sites ip address, only the main shared ip shows up. I have not reserved any ip's, and they all show up as active under "Show or Delete Current IP Addresses" Is there somewhere I can specify which IP's should be available to assign to accounts?

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    go to WHM -> ip addresses -> show ip address usage
    You should see what site is using what IP from there. Obviously, something is using those ip addresses.

3. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

Something is all messed up, my main shared ip assigned to cpanel doesen't even show as an available ip to assign sites to. The only site bound to it is the main server hostname. Thre is only one IP available and it's not the shared ip. I have multiple sites on this server, and some sites are already assigned to other ip's. Is the "Change a sites IP Address" and "Change Multiple sites IP addresses" function only allowed to be used once, and they permanently assign that ip from then on?

I guess an easier way to ask my question would be... What do I have to do to make all ip's available for assigning to sites again?

EDIT: I have manually added them all back to /etc/ipaddrpool, all of the others are now listed, but the main server ip still doesen't show up as available.

#3 cam94z28, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. ike

ike Well-Known Member

you might find even though you got given 5 ips, only 1 is usable ( maybe) as some are used for broadcast etc. i know with the 13 block of ips i get from my datacentre only 5 are really usable. i may be wrong of course but thats one thing to look into.

5. idealso

idealso Active Member

Are these accounts assigned to a reseller, and if so, what IP's does the reseller have available?

6. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

run ifconfig and see if they are actually available to the system first. If not, look up the ifconfig command to bring them up.

Also if your main ip is also an address of one of your name servers, check tweak settings to allow sharing name server ips.

7. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

They were all available at one point, and i was assigning sites under them. For a while I could pick and choose which ip I wanted to assign each site to upon creation. It wasn't until I started using "Change a sites IP" that they started disappearing. If I add them to /etc/ipaddrpool, the next time I change/save the basic WHM configuration page, they're gone again.

idealso,
    I have no reseller accounts, each one is created under the root WHM account.

jayh38,
    They are all available under ifconfig, and "Allow Sharing of Nameserver IP's" is enabled.

8. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I would suggest submitting a ticket after you are sure your cpanel install is version11 and up to date.

9. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When you give a site an ip address, other than the shared server ip address, you're GIVING that ip address to the site, nothing else can use it. This is referred to as a 'dedicated ip'.

To reclaim these ip addresses, all you need to do is move the sites back to the main (shared) ip address and you should be fine.

This isn't a bug, per se, you're telling cpanel to give a site an ip address, so, it is complying. In doing so, it's removing the ip from the pool to prevent conflicts.