I have a very annoying issue

rscalover

Dec 16, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have a cPanel / whm server and i've got an issue with emails like [email protected] sometimes it works for weeks and then out of nowhere i get those "Mail Delivery System errors" it says

Code:
550-Verification failed for <[email protected]> 550-Unrouteable

address 550 Invalid sender <[email protected]> (in reply to MAIL
FROM command)
I use exim but i do have MailScanner and configserver MSFE installed.My host requires me to configure exim to send mail via a smarthost things i have checked

1. /etc/aliases contains the "real" root email this is just my personal email address assigned to me by my isp
  2. /etc/localdomains contains the server hostname hostname.domain.tld
  3. /etc/hosts contains main_ip_here hostname.domain.tld hostname
  4. whm -> Edit system mail preferences cpanel = root nobody => root => root => the address from step1 here
the error itself is pretty logic it complains that [email protected] doesn't exist and that is pretty obvious but what the heck can i do about that ?????? also why does it work for days and than suddenly starts complaiing it drives me insane .....:rolleyes: i don't know anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Intermittent issues, with anything, are just the worst, aren't they? It would help to break it down and see if the error is coming from Exim or a remote host. The mail headers would be a good way for you to determine where the bounce comes from, although posting them here could reveal sensitive information. You might want to make a ticket for this one to avoid unnecessary back and forth.

rscalover

Dec 16, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

The errors are coming from the smarthost my host requires me to use or i can't send mail at all it is a kind of antispam thing .It's good they fight spam but a "thing" that sometimes works for days and then starts complaining isn't a good thing so i think it's safe to say exim is innocent i'll have a look at that headers and complain to my host .