The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have alots ports opened on my website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CCNP, Mar 14, 2010.

1. CCNP

CCNP Registered

Hi all
    I have website contain pics videos on shared webhosting I scaned what port opened
    which port do I need open if poeple just visiting (http)and sending mail to my site, and I have outlook on my computer to send\recieve mails using (pop3) I see here alot ports is it fine to keep all this ports open ???? if not whats ports must be open ?

Not shown: 978 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE

1/tcp open tcpmux

21/tcp open ftp

22/tcp open ssh

25/tcp open smtp

53/tcp open domain

80/tcp open http

110/tcp open pop3

111/tcp filtered rpcbind

135/tcp filtered msrpc

139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn

143/tcp open imap

443/tcp open https

445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds

465/tcp open smtps

631/tcp open ipp

993/tcp open imaps

995/tcp open pop3s

1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931

1723/tcp filtered pptp

2000/tcp filtered cisco-sccp

3306/tcp open mysql

5060/tcp filtered sip

#1 CCNP, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Your post confuses me a little bit because you said you are on "shared hosting" which is if that is true I would think that you have little to no control over the open ports, configuration, or security on your web site so the question might be somewhat of a moot issue.

Contrary to popular belief though, open ports doesn't really mean much in and of itself and is nowhere near as important as to what is on those ports and the server processes beyond those ports are vulnerable and exploitable.

Without knowing how your host has things configured, the port list really does not mean much in and of itself. In example to explain that point, when configuring servers for clients, I will sometimes remove unnecessary processes and close down those ports and then re-open some of those same ports but instead with a hacker trap setup instead of the original server application so again back to the original question of "what is on those ports?"

3. CCNP

CCNP Registered

Thankes for your reply , I cheked my creaters website, and I pinged to some websites he worked, I got the same ip address as mine, is it mean shared right?
    I have other issue I have guestbook just to poeple right there opinion, I started get alot spam is it normal ? is there a way to stop them

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Regarding spam and guestbook spam, there is a quite a lot of cool things you can do there and I have a piece of code that might help you with that but the best avenue to go with that and what are you are able to do really depends largely upon your access and whether you are an end user, reseller, or server administrator (IE: own your own server).

I could probably tell you quite a bit just from you domain name alone though if you are uncertain of your hosting situation. If you want to tell me your web address privately, I'lll do a few courtesy checks and tell you what all I can determine from that regarding your current configuration.

5. CCNP

CCNP Registered

here is my site /http://www.fadibidan.com/ I m waiting your respond :) thanks

#5 CCNP, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I'm sending you a private message with the details of what I found out