The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have expired cPanel license but need WHM access for 2-3 days so I can migrate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wsenter, Jul 6, 2010.

1. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

I have a cpanel server (with root access on it) that has an expired license. It's honeslty been more of a side project and never put much into it. Now, I want to move said accounts to another server (with cpanel) that I will have ssh access to [it's a VPS]. Is there a way to get a temp license on my existing server without having to purchase anything. I need it just for the migration time period and nothing more.

I know that back in the day WHM had an account copy feature but it always seemed to hold up with numerous DNS issues. Let me know if anyone has any opinions on the newer versison of WHM

Let me know if anyone has any ideas and/or if there might be a way to manually do this. I was thinking of doing the following as there are not that many accounts...

Create CP backup on old server
    copy over backup to new server
    extract on new server
    edit dns on old server to point at new server
    Once all sites are migrated then update the dns on my name servers.

If the above is possible I'd need a few suggestions on how I can do this manually (like which files and such).

Thanks in advance for your help with this =)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might contact salesATcpanel.net and ask about a trial license, not sure if that can be done there or not, but can't hurt to ask.

As for moving the accounts once you can get at them, if you visit this page in your WHM:
    Main >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file

You'll find the tools needed to restore the account here.

Once you've restored the account and edited the domains nameservers at your registrar to point to the new server it's just a matter of waiting on propagation of the domain.

For more elaborate ways of doing this sort of thing, the forums have many examples you'd find with some digging I'm sure.

GL!

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please contact customer service

Please contact our customer service department for assistance with this inquiry. They can be reached either by e-mailing cs@cpanel.net, or by submitting a ticket.