The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have install cpanel but apache not installed

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by bt4, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

i have install cpanel but apache not installed what i must to do?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

i cant go to WHM becouse apache not installed yet

4. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

oops i thing i have install Installing cPanel DNSONLY before Cpanel WHM!
    what i must to do? uninstall DNSONLY and install WHM?

5. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Is this for a new server? Why exactly do you think that you do not have apache installed?

Apache is installed automatically when you first install cpanel but it is very possible that you have a firewall blocking access to your web server.

Cpanel is very simple to install in it's default base configuration though here is a few tips for installing on a CentOS based server and avoiding the common firewall hiccup that people often enough run into when trying to setup Cpanel for the first time.

In the first two command lines below I am just simply installing some basic tools needed to download files and I am simply making sure all the operating system components are properly up to date with the latest updates.

# yum -y install wget lynx make gcc screen dialog traceroute bzip2 tar
    # yum -y upgrade

In the next two command lines, I am removing the default firewall from CentOS which in it's default state will often actually prevent you from seeing apache or even logging into Cpanel or WHM after you have finished installing Cpanel and could leave you scratching your head as to why the login screens do not come up on screen like they should. This may very well be your current issue, bt4, not being able to see any screens. It is good to have a firewall but you do not want the default configuration from CentOS and it would be better setting up your firewall AFTER you have everything working and installed properly.

# rm -f /etc/sysconfig/iptables
    # service iptables restart

(Note: you could use '/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables restart' instead of the service command)

Next the actual installation

# cd /usr/local/src
    # screen
    # wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    # chmod 700 ./latest
    # ./latest

In about an hour or so give or take a bit, you'll have a fully installed plain jane working copy of Cpanel once the above installer is finished running and Apache and all supporting programs will be installed and running as well.

Notice in the example above, I wrote "screen" as one of the commands. If you installed screen in the earlier yum command then you would have a new utility called 'screen' which is quite powerful and does many things but in this particular usage, it lets your Cpanel installation program keep running even if your computer at home were to get accidentally disconnected from your server while the cpanel installation program was still running. If you do get disconnected, the installer will just keep on running until it is finished as though your computer never got disconnected.

Just a side tip, if you do get disconnected while the installer is running, you should be able to log back into your server and run "screen -R" and that should get you back to your previous running cpanel installation session that you were originally running.

Once Cpanel has finished the base installation, you would login with root at http://x.x.x.x:2086/ where x.x.x.x of course would be replaced with your server's IP address and then you can begin configuring and and going through the long process of properly setting up your new server.

I would recommend after configuring your server also getting a copy of CSF Firewall. It is an excellent program and available free at ConfigServer Security & Firewall

#5 NetMantis, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That statement completely changes everything! :eek:

There is no Apache or web hosting on DNS Only server machines!

You would need to wipe that machine clean and then re-install Cpanel as I said in my previous post above and then you would have Apache and everything that you need installed so that you can do webhosting with the server machine.

Setup for DNS Only, you would not be able to do anything other than DNS functions alone.

7. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

how i can uninstall Cpanel DNSONLY

8. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

can i install Cpanel WHM under Cpanel DNSONLY ?

9. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    No, you cannot. The WHM in DNS Only Cpanel is stripped down and designed to only allow DNS functions. Web hosting is not permitted on DNS Only servers.

You cannot have both DNS Only and Regular Cpanel on the same server machine.

Ideally you should reformat the drive and reload the base operating system again and do a clean install. However, if that is not a possibility to you then I would recommend logging into SSH and deleting everything that is in /usr/local/cpanel and /var/cpanel at the very least minimum and then running the correct Cpanel installer to re-setup Cpanel / WHM all over again but this time using the full version and not the DNS Only version.

# rm -Rf -- /usr/local/cpanel /var/cpanel /etc/cpupdate.conf
    # wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    # chmod 700 ./latest
    # ./latest

#9 NetMantis, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  10. bt4

bt4 Well-Known Member

i have do it as u said i ddt reinstall OS
    and cpanel installed
    cPanel install finished in 137
    but now 2086 ddt work