The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have no idea what cPanel is

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ellare, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ellare

ellare Registered

hello all - i just joined this forum.

Imagine jumping out of an airplane -- not even knowing what a parachute is - that's where I am at right now.

Please pardon my ignorance, but i have no idea what cPanel is.

All I know is this:

I am to take a class next week where I am required to find a server that will support Fantastico.

So I found one and now I am starting to learn that Fantastico has something to do with cPanel.

Please enlighten me on what exactly cPanel is and where Fantastico fits into that.

I decided to go ahead and join the forum, because I am sure that eventually when I get more into this class and my project in mind, I will need y'all's help.

Thank you,
    ellare

2. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Welcome, what's the class for?

3. ellare

ellare Registered

i am a grad student in digital media. the class is an undergraduate level - "website fundamentals" but the Prof is making me do a graduate level class. all my prof has told me so far is "find a host that supports Fantastico" and one time i think he said "log in to the cPanel and take a look around" or something like that.

4. Dark

Dark Registered

Well...

CPanel is a fully featured web-based control panel that allows you to manage your domain through a web interface. The idea is to transfer as much of the control and responsibility of managing your web site to you. You have the ability to manage all aspects of e-mail, files, backup, FTP, CGI scripts, and web site statistics.

That's just the documentation of it. Basically it is a Server Control Panel, high tech, and quite useful. Fantastico is something that runs with cPanel (a script) and it installs pre-installed scripts in a directory you tell it. Also, making life easier.

5. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

REF: http://www.cpanel.net

"cPanel & WebHost Manager (WHM) is a next generation web hosting control panel system. Both cPanel & WHM are extremely feature rich as well as include an easy to use web based interface (GUI).

WHM allows you to but is not limited to administering individual accounts, reseller accounts & performing basic system and control panel maintenance via a secure interface.
    For a complete list of features including screen shots of WHM, please click here.

cPanel is designed for the end users of your system and allows them to control everything from adding / removing email accounts to administering MySQL databases.
    For a comprehensive list of cPanel features including screen shots, please click here."

REF: http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico.php

" Fantastico De Luxe
    Fantastico De Luxe is the leading autoinstaller for cPanel servers. With more than 10.000 installations, it provides more than one million end users the ability to quickly install dozens of the leading open source content management systems into their web space.

Fantastico De Luxe now with Templates Express!

The leading NOCs will preinstall Fantastico De Luxe with every dedicated server being delivered. For a list of the NOCs where you can get a dedicated server with Fantastico De Luxe preinstalled for free or for a very low fee, click here.

License includes free support and regular updates and expires after one year.

If your NOC does not provide you with Fantastico De Luxe, you may purchase here. "

REF: http://www.google.com

For most any information that you need to find out :)

I hope this helps.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Graduate level using fantastico? Makes no sence.

7. chae

chae Well-Known Member

I have to agree you're pulling our chains aren't you?

8. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

I agree , What can you learn from installing php application's via fantastico ?

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Well for one you learn that kosmo does great work and is helping to enable many to get going that know very little, but want a website. :p

10. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Let us remember that Fantastico is not the only Auto Installer for free scripts. Others offer the same type service/script and work just as good or better.

And I too, would like to know why some Professer wants people to know about a script installer and how it relates to the academia of that particular class. Makes no sense to me. ;)

11. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe the professor is Kosmo's uncle...:D