The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a custom skin in about a couple hours that is perfect (for us)

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by DWHS.net, Jun 7, 2003.

1. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anyone not happy about xskins like myself, (no offense Bert) don't be afraid to try a skin your self. I figured it out in a couple hours and making updates are a breeze once understand the method.

Other benefits, we took out cron tabs and the stinkin counter that bugs out all the time and entered a link to our support page and FAQ among other cool tweaks.

Just letting you all know I thought it would be a nightmare but it's not.

Step 1:

log into WHM and make new copy of the most similar skin to what you want. In our case it was bluelagoon. Name the new version anything you want.

step 2:

ssh in as root and go to the location of the skins.

step 3:

download the entire folder of bluelagoon

step 4:

change the main top html and bottom with your logos, just don't make the links absolute. Then make your frontpage totally custom with all the links but log out from the /frontend/ folder.

step 5:

upload the images, frontpage, and top and bottom template pages.

step 6:

Test out the skin on a test domain by changing the theme of a account (you own) to the new custom theme in the "modify a account option" in the WHM.

You will most likely have some of the links not pointing correctly. And the log out link needs to be absolute (/logout.html I think)

Anyways plan for several hours so when it's done in only a couple you will be happy as we where.

BTW we had fun with the file manager including a pop up help center for being able to build a entire site in it.

Good luck hope this inspires someone :D

If you get a snag I would be happy to help, just drop me a email or PM through my profile.

-Charles

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. bert

bert Well-Known Member

You mention the X SKINS and ask me "no offense" ?

You have got to be kidding me.

3. DWHS.net

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Like I said no offense, sorry :(

4. bert

bert Well-Known Member

I am not offended man, but you could have said something like "For all of you who would like to create your own skin" as opposed to "Anyone not happy about xskins like myself" ;)

5. spiraltechnics

spiraltechnics Active Member

too busy

Um...

I dont thnk most of the people in here have so much of a problem with knowing how to create their own skins. Most of them don't have the time or talent to begin an operation like that. Your words are encouraging, But it would take 100 of the greatest motivational speakers to get anyone in these forums to produce their own skins. Perhaps a 24 hour marathon of Richard Simmons videos would help. Zeig Zeigler????

Most here complain that they are too busy or dont have the design ability to make thier sikns. Acutally most of them spend most of there time complaining about the skins, so they dont get the opportunity to be able to make them. Kinda funny eh?

6. DWHS.net

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wow this is funny stuff, Maybe the first time I have laughed in this forum.. :p Thanks...

The sad part is I was this person you spoke of :confused: but surprisingly it's not as bad or time consuming as I thought. And in reality the saved support and emails from the custom FAQ and other options have saved time so far. I guess the design part might be a snag we just cut and pasted the top of our main websites page in the top template page.

I think there was fear for whatever reason, but once I did it I was like... Wow that's not bad at all.

I would also like to say Xskin is great and I hope I didn't upset Bert. I just thought some where not happy about the changes.