The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help developing password protected directories!

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by irrumate, Jan 4, 2008.

1. irrumate

irrumate Registered

I am trying to sell downloadable goods and need some directories to be password protected. I know I can use cPanel to password protect some directories, however, I was wondering if it was possible to have a script that would create a username and/or password that would be valid for a certain time and would expire afterward so it wouldn't be possible for someone to pass off the username and/or password. Please help.

2. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    you probably use a proper shopping cart with this feature. It will be a bit of setup, but you'll get something that functions and offers a lot of other features (like reporting). I would advise zen-cart

3. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

Here is how you could do it as well...

1. Set up a cron job to run nightly

2. When you want to add a new password protected directory use either the cpanel plugin to create a password protected directory OR use php curl and create a custom app that adds a password protected directory in cpanel.

3. Then have the nightly cron job remove the password protected directory via the exact same fashion that it was originally added via step #2.

4. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

As verdon mentioned, many shopping carts include the ability to sell "downloaded goods" that would address your needs. In lieu of that, http://www.locked-area.com/ has some great scripts for managing restricted access to directories.