The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with Root email forwarding in WHM

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by byrcar, May 6, 2014.

1. byrcar

byrcar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Root email is set in system mail settings to be forwarded, but for some reason it's still trying to send to the default root address and getting stuck in the mail que. I've change the forwarding address, rebooted the server, restarted exim. I've even gone so far as checking /root/.forward via SSH and I can't seem to figure out why it's still trying to send to the invalid root address.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are the messages in the queue from a previous date/time before the change was made? Are the messages only alerts from cPanel?

Thank you.

3. byrcar

byrcar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry for the delay on my response. Yes, the mail was in the queue from before changing the forward address, but the forward address had been previously correct & working (until about 3/11/14- I just haven't had time to fix it). Yes, the messages in the queue are only cpanel alerts. Since change the address on the 6th I have about 10 more alerts (mostly me logging in via SSH, stuff like that) that have piled up in the queue.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I should also mention, after changing the forwarding address I attempted to release the queued mail. It didn't work so I came here.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket if new alerts are going to the wrong forwarded address. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. byrcar

byrcar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's the solution:
    We changed our domain name a few months ago, and I had changed it everywhere but for the WHM hostname. Changing the hostname to resolve to the new valid domain name allowed delivery of queued email.
    I assume I didn't notice because I was so used to our old domain name it just looked "right" to me.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator