The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need hosting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infopro, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  2. recon 16

recon 16 Registered

i dont knowhere to ask this, but where is a good place to get hosting with cPanel? i need alot of features for cheap... i know that sounds stupid, but please dont flame me... :confused:

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Looks like the clock is off on this server...

4. Cleverbum

Cleverbum Member

there are a lot of options out there, meinhosting.com provides some, but they can be expensive, I also provide some at www.cleverbum.co.uk but if you google cpanel hosting you should get some other options too for a good comparison :)

5. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

This meinhosting.com is a company which bases 99% of its sales through selling unlimited reseller hosting on eBay. They reboot thier servers twice a day in order to keep thier load down. Looking at cleverbum.co.uk you have also just copied the info from there auction.

I would strongly advise against this company, after having to help others who suffered from thier poor service.

You should be looking for a reliable hosting provider, one that owns thier own servers and offers excellent customer support with a gauranteed uptime figure. I would highley reccomend www.monkeybum.net after having a small reseller account with them in the past. You could also try our company www.3qhost.com Packages start at £10.50/Year with ticketed support and a 99.5% uptime gaurantee.

#5 celliott, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  6. Cleverbum

Cleverbum Member

You're quite right, there are big similarities between the packages offered by myself and Meinhosting, I more or less built my site to compete with theirs, thinking that the looks of the site were secondary to the features we were able to offer. which I guess is why it was the first one that sprung to mind when thinking of alternatives to my own service.
    I am however going to get in a professional graphic designer to do some work on separating our site from meinhosting as soon as we start to make enough money to splash out on things other than maintaining the actual quality of service that we offer.

I know that the packages I offer aren't topnotch, but at the same time, the service I offer is. I pride myself on the fast turnaround of all support tickets and have also offered help to other meinhosting customers.

The server uptime on our accounts also works out at around 99% at the same time though monkeybum and 3qhost both look like very good options.

7. celliott

99% Uptime = 7 Consecutive hours of downtime each month. Today people are looking at 99.5-99.9 uptime which is easily made possible with well managed servers.

There is no such thing as an unlimited reseller, meinhosting oversell their services and will never be able to provide the service of a real hosting provider. Reboots twice a day, what the hell is all that about anyway. To keep their loads down and fit as many customers on a server as they can.

Even if you can reply quickly to those support tickets, if its anything technical you have to tell your hosting provider about them to get it fixed. There have been cases where people have never recieved a response from this company and now they have moved on.

Make the right decision, claim the service you deserve, dont be oversold.

#7 celliott, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. Cleverbum

Cleverbum Member

yes, 7 hours a month or a couple of minutes every other day or so. I just don't like to oversell my services, we may well get 99.5% or even 99.9% uptime but I felt that 99% is perfectly adequate as a boast and this way it doesnt look like a one in a million act of god will take down our servers. Basically what I was intending to do was admit that the servers accasionally go down, rather than claim that everything is always perfect.

Besides which as I said before I simply have the same features as meinhosting, slam them all you want, we just looked at what they claimed to provide and aimed to provide the same services at a lower price with greater efficiency. It just happens that I'm not so great with imagination and HTML and our sites ended up looking similar.

I have always received a response from the hosting provider I am with, both promptly and efficiently mainly as I have the knowledge and expertise to actually help them in the service they provide, rather than simply forwarding an email saying "summat broke". Because of this technical knowledge, rather than simply the speed at which I reply to help tickets. I feel that this knowledge allows my customers to be far better informed and for it to never look like I'm making promises that I can't keep.

For instance I had a site with my holiday photos on that claimed 99.9% uptime. This is all very well, but what they meant was that their service had only so far been down for a couple of minutes, despite it only being up for a year or so. They decided to add a new hard disk and took a month to do it. They then discounted that month from their statistics and changed their claim to a 99.5% uptime. I'm not for a moment accusing you of doing this. I'm just saying that claims are not always everything they seem.

9. celliott

There are no "claims", its a service level agreement or SLA. A gaurantee that you (the provider) will give to your customer in a specific time frame. Take a look at any major hosting provider, they have one. If the gaurantee is not met you refund your customer, simple.

The point I am making here is that you try to provide a good service when using a reseller from a bad company. Unlimited = Impossible. Search this forum, search any hosting forum. You are a reseller, technical experience you may have wont make the slightest bit of difference since you dont have actual contact with the servers.

A few minutes downtime every day is not good, nor is 7 hours a month good. A website is designed to be accessible all the time.

If you are happy with your reseller from meinhosting then good but don't expect it to last. Do you realise why they reboot twice a day? To keep thier loads down and get as many people on a server as they can. I know this as I have taken on a couple of their old customers after big problems on thier servers.

I love this package of yours:

UNLIMITED space & emails

Please show me where I can buy an unlimited size hard disk. Sounds interesting. :p