The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some help :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JusticeWANTED, Jan 13, 2012.

1. JusticeWANTED

JusticeWANTED Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi All,

First of all, I apologise if this is posted in the wrong section.

I am a website owner, and although I have SOME technical skills, they are very very basic.

I have my website, that I created in Notepad (v1) and then MSPublisher (v2), hosted with a company.

I wasn't happy with my website, so I commissioned a web developer to do some work on it, including a CMS and a client login/registration system. He fell ill, unfortunately, but passed the project onto someone else. That other person had been messing me around big time. Luckily, the original developer recovered and has now taken charge of the project again.

He asked for my FTP details so that he can upload and install the site, and redirect any existing pages.

I was a little nervous, probably due to the other developer messing me around, so I asked my hosting company for advice, who have told me that I need to create an FTP account for the developer (which I think I have managed to do) and then create a database for him, and give him the details of both.

All I want is for my website to be updated as quickly and securely as possible, as it should have been done before Xmas.

So, before I give any details to the developer, I thought I would post on here to see what people thought and get any advice that might me around :)

Let me know what you think and what suggestions you have.

Thanks
    JW

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Creating an addon FTP account and giving it a directory called cms for example, would work fine. Create the database, create a user, and then associate that user you created with that database you created, all from the same page in cPanel.

Now you have:
    developer@yourdomain.com for FTP account.
    username_username, password, username_databasename for Database.

With those details your Dev can upload any CMS he's working on to the cms/ directory, and edit the config for that cms to use the details for that database.

BTW, once the site is completed, you could move it to where ever you wish it to be, domain.com, domain.com/cms/, domain.com/hithere/ as examples easy enough. Just a matter of editing the config for the site itself to change the path.

Should be fine. HTH! :)

3. JusticeWANTED

JusticeWANTED Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hiya, thanks for the reply

I have developer@mydomain.com for FTP account, with a password. I know the server ftp.mydomain.com and port 21 instead of 722

I have created a database, but it is coming up with: myusername_database name.

I can understand what you mean by associating it, but I don't know how to do it.

And when the site is completed, I am not sure that I would have the skills to edit configs etc if I started moving things around, unless there is a tutorial or something for that?

Thanks again

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, best to ask your Developer where the config file is for the website that you add the database details to. You don't mention what CMS you'll be using so guessing would be useless really. You might not even have to edit the config file. You might be able to for example, login to the admin page of the CMS, find the area where the details for the path to the website are located. edit this and save. That action writes to the database. Now its a simple matter of cut n paste the entire contents of the cms/ directory mentioned in my earlier post example to the new location. (or course making sure you've moving it to a location where files form something else wouldn't be overwritten.

You might not even want or need to move it, just giving you some ideas to run with.

As for the database, what you got is fine and is what I described. You'll give these details for the database to the Developer, he'll edit that config file and then upload the entire CMS to the directory you created for him to work. Once the files are all uploaded, you've already created the database, he runs the CMS installer to set it up.

Sounds like a lot, but its actually all quite easy to do. Using wordpress for an example:
    Installing WordPress « WordPress Codex

:)

5. JusticeWANTED

JusticeWANTED Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I think all of this is just getting beyond me. This really isn't my area of expertise, and I just keep getting confused.

By the sounds of things, I am going to have to give the guy full access and hope that he doesnt screw me over.

For the CMS, I am fairly certain it's going to be Joomla.

Just in terms of the database, as you saying that it doesnt matter that it is myusername_databasename as opposed to developerusername_databasename?

Sorry for taking a while to reply, PC went down :(

Thanks again :)

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not at all, I've given you all you need right here in this thread.

1) developer@yourdomain.com for FTP account. He can now login and upload Joomla files with this.

2) For the Database.
    username_username
    password
    username_databasename

He'll edit the config for Joomla with these details above. Then he'll run the Joomla installer and setup the CMS.

Done.

It would never be developerusername_ as the first part is always the cPanel account owners username. The second part can be anything you like, for example you might want to indentify it later so you could call it yourusername_yourjoomla

You really only have two components here, the files for the CMS, and the database. Those database details you created as explained above, tie the two together.

I'm sorry I can't assist more than that, setup of Joomla instructions with more in depth details would be found on the Joomla support site: Joomla! Help Site - Installation Guide

7. JusticeWANTED

JusticeWANTED Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    OK,

Many thanks for your help :)

Wish me luck lol

JW