I really need your help, high Memory Usage

Steve-PWH

Jun 30, 2002
Originally posted by ddeans
Okay I installed that, it may look better for the customers but what it reports and what 'top' reports are alot different. Which should I beleive?
The code is ripped out of 2.0 and modified for 2.1

Basicly its 2.0 memory reporting in 2.1

Steve-PWH

Jun 30, 2002
But which is more accurate? PHPSYS or 'TOP'?
Reporting

Mem: 904076k

When u have 1024mb installed I would say neither is accurate and u have a RAM problem

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Although not being divisable by 8 is not a definitive problem, if 1 GB of RAM has been installed then 'top' should show something like: 102****k with the '102' definitely showing first.

That's why I stated a total hardware check should be done, as there could be more or something other than RAM, wrong with your Server.

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
I will have my NOC do that first thing Monday, and definitially get the RAM swapped out. If it still does the same thing I will post it here. Thanks!

lexmark

Sep 10, 2003
Ok, like always I went to eat dinner, when I returned to check my server the CPU load is so high I cant even login into anything

lexmark

Sep 10, 2003
Whoa I think I found something!!!!!! What the.. gzip? I looked into WHM logs and saw this:

Top Process %CPU 92.6 gzip
Top Process %CPU 74.2 gzip
Top Process %CPU 73.1 gzip

Where is the gzip coming from?

lexmark

Sep 10, 2003
Yes but they are scheduled at late at night, and we just made changes so that the compression is turned off.

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
do you have other users on this server is this just your server? I am wondering if a user is doing their own backups?

lexmark

Sep 10, 2003
do you have other users on this server is this just your server? I am wondering if a user is doing their own backups?
Yes I host other sites, in fact I sent an email to someone and asked them if they did a backup, I havent heard back from them.

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
Originally posted by Lexmark
No, they only swapped out the RAM, didnt say anyother more then that
A user of your server swapped out your RAM?

Anyways, if user's arn't running backups, you don't have compression turned on, then this is over my head.

The only other thing I could suggest is that you turn off backups al-together for a day and see if the problem comes back. It seems that this problem happens at night. Is the time on your server correct? Maybe it's 3 hours ahead and backups are running earlier then they should.

After that, I have to let someone else jump in here.

kofi

PartnerNOC
Feb 3, 2004
Are there a bunch of PHP processes running taking up all the memory?

What kernel are you using? What OS are you using.

I had a big problem with the kernel 2.4.x and RHEL, so I updated to 2.6.3 and that has now solved the problem. No more 50% uptime.

lexmark

Sep 10, 2003
Thanks, sorry I never mentioned that the NOC swapped out my RAM and for some reason that fixed the problem :)

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
I had the NOC swap out my RAM, and not only did my server get slower, but the ram still reads at that goofy number. They are going to run a full hardware check tomorrow.