I really need your help, high Memory Usage

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
Hey Guys,
This is what the Tech's told me:
Tech ZY has responded to your help desk request.

-----------------------------------------------
(Tech ZY)
-----------------------------------------------
I am sorry to tell you this, we did put 1G ram in to the server, but for some reason top alway read 904076k.

sorry for the inconvenience

Best Regards

is he right?

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would suggest you start another thread and list your basic Server specs, state the problem and ask others to post their comparison.

ddeans

Feb 13, 2004
Maryland
Well see the reason that I didn't do that is because we had already started talking about this earlier in this trhread. But if that's what you suggest, then I'll start a new thread.

Aquitaine

May 7, 2003
Calcutta
hi there
i had the same problem on my server - seems df was causing problems for me . not sure why.

i would be very interested in knowing if you have the same problem on your server still

if you could post the output of
ps -eax | grep df

i'd really like to see it -- both when you have high load averages and otherwise please

thanks

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would advise that posting the results of 'ps -eax | grep df' on a public Forum would not be advisable. Run the command to see why.

At most, on a public Forum, the results of running 'df -h' is all that should be provided. Nobody needs to knows otherwise.

Aquitaine

May 7, 2003
Calcutta
wha ?? how is me knowing IF df is running on his server going to comporomise his security ?

i might be wrong, but im VERY curious, Rob if you do have an answer, I would love to hear it.

dean do check it on your own though - i do hope your problem has cleared up

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Aquitaine, my post was not necessarily a reflection on you, more to do with the command itself. As one never knows who or when, a post will be read, it is not a good idea to give too much information on a public Forum about one's Server(s).

The command you mentioned gives out a little too much information in my mind, but that is just my opinion.

Aquitaine

May 7, 2003
Calcutta
here ya go rob
hack me with that info.. you must be pretty ace if you can manage anything from there

sh-2.05$ ps -eax | grep df
7 ? SW 0:00 [bdflush]
866 ? S 0:15 xinetd -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
sh-2.05$

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
ddeans

contact managed.com ask for ckc to upgrade your kernel to 2.4.24.

that will solve the ram problem for you

Last edited:

DuxAranea

May 1, 2004
application bug: leechprotect(6944) has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().

This appeared in the original post and appears in my logs as well. I am told by ThePlanet (my DC) that that's the problem. Leechprotect is part of cpanel pro. Anyone have a fix for this? Anyone know if its even true?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Are you sure they said that? If so, they're wrong. (Most of my servers are with ThePlanet/ServerMatrix).

That appears on every cPanel server I run and only appears when you restart apache. AFAIK, it is harmless.

DuxAranea

May 1, 2004
Then what is the problem? I've read through this thread and havent seen any clear solution to the RAM issue. My free system memory decreases steadily and will usually dips all the way down to the point of crashing, within 24 to 48 hours of a server reboot. I can't find any processes using all that memory. I've been monitoring using top.

Tos

Verifed Vendor
Oct 27, 2002
Originally posted by DuxAranea
Then what is the problem? I've read through this thread and havent seen any clear solution to the RAM issue. My free system memory decreases steadily and will usually dips all the way down to the point of crashing, within 24 to 48 hours of a server reboot. I can't find any processes using all that memory. I've been monitoring using top.
I have the identical problem. Seems to be php/apache related, but am unable to find a way to diagnose it. Memory gradually fills up and the server starts utilizing swap as there is no memory left. Server gets slow first, then crashes if not rebooted. Only way to free memory is a reboot. Cycling services does nothing.