The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have kernel issue and it cause high load on some days.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kiat, Mar 30, 2006.

1. kiat

kiat Active Member

Hello,

I have 2 servers Dell Xeon 3.0 Ram 2 GB. They are running 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp CentOS 3.6. Normally both server having load around 0.3-0.8 but for someday the load will shoot up to around 1.2-3.0 and it will be like this entire day and in the next days load will go down to 0.3-0.8 again. During such high load, I tried to shutdown some services to see what cause high load but all of services doesn't seem to cause on that. However if I reboot them during high load, it will come back to normal. I have monitor and track down the problem for months until today I think it is kernel issue to cause high load then I run yum to update kernel but yum update nothing and strange thing happen. Load is comeback down!
    Then I try on another server because it hard to belive that runing yum update can bring load down but it is true, same thing happen on another server. Load is back down.

For someone who expert on Linux please give me an idea why it behave like this.

Kiat.

2. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Not unless one have a chance to peep into your server and find the exact problem. As there are unlimited reasons for highload on a server.

However you should check /var/log/messages for errors if you really think it is a Kernel prob.

3. kiat

kiat Active Member

Probably you are right, thank you.

4. xidica

xidica Well-Known Member

Check to make sure Perl is updated to 5.8.7 (lest teh l33t perlinstaller load and 858 other issues)
    Check to make sure you haven't set outrageous configuration directives for Apache and MySQL (I too often see people doing what is the equivalent of trying to hook a cable to a mountain and tow it with a 4 cylinder 1970 Datsun truck)

grep -i memory /var/log/messages

The above command should show you if processes are being killed due to resource exhaustion. (and of course any other lines containing insensitive text messages to "memory")...It wouldn't be a bad idea to examine your drives with smartctl provided SMART is enabled for them, perhaps do a 'grep hdX /var/log/messages' to make sure you're not getting weird drive status error messages, or other nasty things. (obviously using hdX where /dev/hdX is an actual hard drive device in your machine, replace at will)

Well, if that doesn't help...scream, shout, pester your datacenter with trivial questions :D