The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Think Im in over my head...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itzcomputers, Feb 23, 2007.

1. itzcomputers

itzcomputers Member

Well im new to using WHM on a dedicated server, ive always used a reseller account, which is pre configured, now im trying to setup my own dedicated server, we have purchased off The Planet and have a license through them, there support has been... .well hopeless so far

now im trying to setup my own dns so the accounts registered with us people use our dns.ourdomainname.com.au for there domain name to point to there account, how do i do this via WHM ... do i even do it there, lol.. if so what do i need and what steps do i take

i also get the following email everyday, which i kinda presume is important since it says it is... what does it mean

"MPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (server1.itzcomputers.com.au) resolves to . It should resolve to 69.93.244.138. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you believe everything else is correct."

I would really appreciate anyones help and advise. otherwise ive just thrown $175 for this month down the drain, lol

2. itzcomputers

itzcomputers Member

so is anyone, cpanel staff or otherwise willing to give some advise... all ive received so far are PM's going i can help for $x amount :(

3. wwfn

wwfn Member

hey buddy,
    Read my pm. It is majorly different from the ones you have seen before.

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I would suggest hiring an admin to setup your system and most important, security. Do this while the box is fresh asap..

5. nilesh_kolte

nilesh_kolte Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    HI,

I;'m agree with jayh38..

6. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Here's my 2 cents

I'd be willing to help you via IM with the dns nameserver stuff, but the error message needs hands on work by someone who knows what they are doing, and I don't have the time.

Advice:

Since you've already gone with The Planet, you'll need to hire someone at least to get your initial setup done right.

But for the future, or for any other newbies who read this, I've had quite a bit of experience with knowing nothing and trying to find good help with my servers. Here are my top 2 recommendations for places to lease dedicated servers:

Number one is beachcomber.net. They give more free helps and extras than I've seen anywhere else, low prices, and the best tech support I've seen anywhere. I've had servers with Mark at Beachcomber Creations for about 7 years, and I'll still give him a 99 out of 100.

Falling behind Beachcomber, but with good, responsive support who have sometimes offered help with issues that they didn't have to address, (such as 3rd party script settings, advice about backups etc.) I like atjeu.com

Just my subjective opinion, (I don't have a financial or personal interest in either.) but I've been at this for 7 years and I've tried many of the other large companies plus several of the small ones. I could tell some horror tales! :eek:

Diana

#6 dianaward, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  7. itzcomputers

itzcomputers Member

well thanks for the recommendations, but i got some great help and advise from "wwfn" i should be good from here