The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ibdata1 has grown to nearly 1GB. I need some solid advice here.

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by jols, May 17, 2010.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

In /var/lib/mysql there is a file named ibdata1

This file is using up a large amount of critical space in /var.

I if I can simply move this file to the /home directory and symlink to it from /var/lib/mysql so that my entire /var directory does not fill up. I've been struggling with this one for months now.

And no, dropping and restoring hundreds of active databases on this server so that they do not use INNODB is not an option.

This is very critical, should I make out a cPanel.net trouble ticket?

#1 jols, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. jols

jols Well-Known Member

3. toonster76

toonster76 Registered

Ouch! what's wrong with my domain? hehe

Just so you know Jois, ibdata1 file also stores critical data for innodb tablespaces which is shared. One thing you can do is after you follow the steps on my blog, you can also symlink the whole database directory to another partition where you have space so it doesn't have to be inside "var" folder. Let me know if I can help you in answering in anyways either by asking here or leaving me a comment on crazytoon.com

4. hostingtech

hostingtech Member

yes as long as you have enough space in /home , moving /var/lib/mysql to lets say /home/var/mysql and then creating symlink should resolve this for you.
    To avoid any database corruption stop mysql service before doing the move, and start it back after move is complete and symlink is created.