Operating System & Version
Centos 7

MohammadNehme

Jul 23, 2022
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Greetings ...
Few days ago we noticed a high load on our server and followed up with a stoppage of MySQL service , after a quick investigation we found out that the file ibtmp1 was rapidly increasing in size and reached about 40 GB , and it grew around 9 GB in less than 5 minutes , is this a sign of a cyber attack ? if yes what kind of attacks can cause this issue to occur , Or could this be caused by a technical error in our end .

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This file is the InnoDB temporary table space file, as outlined here:

While I suppose it could be from an attack, it could also be from a misconfiguration in a database. I'd recommend watching your MySQL traffic in real-time with a command like "mysqladmin proc status" to see what is happening on the server while the large increase in size happens. You may be able to spot a specific database or table being accessed frequently that is causing the issue.

Reactions: MohammadNehme

MohammadNehme

Jul 23, 2022
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This file is the InnoDB temporary table space file, as outlined here:

While I suppose it could be from an attack, it could also be from a misconfiguration in a database. I'd recommend watching your MySQL traffic in real-time with a command like "mysqladmin proc status" to see what is happening on the server while the large increase in size happens. You may be able to spot a specific database or table being accessed frequently that is causing the issue.

Greetings...
Thank you for your reply , we will take a deeper look into this as we also suspect that we were facing an attack , but once we face this issue again we will monitor what is being targeted in terms of databases and tables
Thank You
P.S : You are a legend

Reactions: cPRex