The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if email account doesn't exist, prevent outgoing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by USA_Webmaster, Oct 6, 2016.

1. USA_Webmaster

USA_Webmaster Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Home » Email » Mail Delivery Reports » Run Report

I see outgoing emails, from sender accounts that do not exist. I wish to block / suspend (or prevent) those emails from being created or appearing in the report.

Can you please advise? Perhaps, I can lock-down server to prevent sending unless sender account actually exist?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

p.s. - i'm reading over this topic: How To Prevent Email Abuse but any additional input would be most grateful

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Any local cPanel user can use the 127.0.0.1 IP address to send mail without authentication. This can make it difficult for system administrators to determine which cPanel account sent the mail, especially when a malicious user spoofs an email address to disguise the origin of the email.

To require cPanel & WHM to put the actual sender in the header, enable the Experimental: Rewrite From: header to match actual sender option in WHM's Exim Configuration Manager interface (Home >> Exim Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Manager).

This is documented at:

How to Prevent Email Abuse - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

USA_Webmaster likes this.