Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I don't use SSH to connect, would it be ok if I don't update the SSH version?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Outlier, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Outlier

Outlier Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just received an email saying: "Current SSH version is out of date. Update current system software in the 'Update System Software' area." I'm reading other threads where people are having a hard time updating the SSH and they get errors. I don't use SSH to connect and I'm the type of person that doesn't like to "fix" things that aren't broken. If I never use SSH to connect, would it be ok if I disregard this message and don't update the SSH (at least until I ever do start to use it)?

2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I'm not personally aware of any issues with updating SSH and we update this across hundreds of servers. Whilst you many not use SSH, having this publically accessible and not updated is more of a security concern and unless you have local access to the server, firewalling this off may cause an issue if you do need it to access the server. I would recommend trying the OS update as SSH is not the only package that you need to keep up to date to keep your server secure.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I highly recommend always keeping your system's packages updated. I'm not aware of any issues related to SSH after updating the "openssh" package. Could you provide more information on that?

Thank you.