The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignorant partner screwing around with server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chad101, Feb 5, 2007.

1. chad101

chad101 Active Member

I have a friend who went half with me on a dedicated server. This guy is a good friend of mine but when it comes to server administration he has no clue. Everyday my email is being bombarded “Account Terminated” and “New Account Created” notices for the same domain!! I get 5 or 6 of these notices a day! When I asked him about this, he told me that he was trying to install some PHP e107 script. Which is an automated news publishing and content management system. Not that the script really matters. But when he encounters a problem with the install, he will login to WHM, then delete and remake the damn account!!!!

I like the guy and his partial payment on the server really helps but I’m worried he going to screw something up. What should I do?

2. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

Change the root password and keep it to yourself or get a dedicated server for yourself.

This is why partner situations aren't so great sometimes.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on this - I'd like to know the outcome.

3. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Install Xen on the server and partition it into 2 halves. Each of you will have your own server then with your own cPanel and can't step on each other's toes.

#3 kris1351, Feb 5, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  4. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

Ah, also an excellent idea!

5. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

If he does not know much about server admin work, i would advice to your partner and explain, why do you think its bad idea, he having root access. After you have explained in a cool way just make reseller account for him and give that to him so he can add and remove accounts and not have much permission to screw stuff on the server

hope that helps

6. vwiley1

vwiley1 Well-Known Member

I am in a similar boat with having a partner on one of my servers.

He does have root access, and also a reseller account.

I have scared him enough with the dangers of having root and messing everything up, that he only uses his reseller account.

This person also likes to terminate and recreate accounts multiple times... In one day he suspended, unsuspended, terminated, recreated, terminated, recreated and suspended the same account. I have never asked him what he's doing, but as long as he's doing it through his reseller account... I don't really care.

For anything important, he asks me to deal with it.