The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignore quotas while transfering sites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xyzed, Mar 31, 2009.

1. xyzed

xyzed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi

Does anyone have some suggeestions on being able to 'disable' quotas whilst transfering from old to new server?

Problem is, many users are near or at their quota on the old server. cPanel transfers the sites with no errors, only to find out later that it stopped restoring the account when it hit their quota. So in most cases a few files, mailboxes etc are missing.

If there was a way for the transfer tool to 'ignore' the quota on restore, then this would save a fair bit of manual headache.

Cheers.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Why not just change the quota for that package on the old server? Assuming these users all have that package. Once you've moved them change that package again.

Not perfect I guess, but should work fine I would think.

3. xyzed

xyzed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks Infopro

Unfortunately it is mostly resellers on the servers that have the customers close to, or reached, their quotas. The other downside is the 'Show Accounts over Quota ' only shows those over quota and not nearing the limit that will fail with the temp files used during the transfer.

I was hoping there was a magical 'Ignore quotas while transfering' tick box somewhere :) - oh well.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure if there is or not. If this is important to you, don't wait for an answer on these forums, contact cPanel. :)

If you can clean up those accounts like removing log files and such, that might help.

To be honest, leaving accounts so close to quota is not a good idea anyway. The user can't do a full system backup for instance. Not enough room so the backup will not be complete.

Last time I moved servers I contacted all users being moved and had them do what they could to clean up their accounts. Some had no idea how and asked for help. Others came thru without complaints as they knew it would make their accounts safer during the move.

Some, realized their accounts were too small and upgraded. :)

Good luck.