The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a reseller of a host and I use WHM, Why doesn't my account have some features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndj1022, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ndj1022

ndj1022 Well-Known Member

Like the admin does.

For one, We don't have modify account? We need this so we can modify our customers accounts. without having to remake them

Theres also more that the reseller accounts need, which are made by WHM

Why is this?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

When your host set you up, perhaps they left a few features out of your control. Ask your host to enable the features, if its possible, some things they might and should not give you but its there decision.

3. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

The modify account function does nothing more then allow you to change the theme. Thats all you can do really. And if thats the case you can do that from the upgrade/downgrade option. Please, sombody correct me if im wrong.

4. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

No - you can adjust many other settings such as shell access, sudomains, databases, ftp accounts etc.

5. sexy_guy

Modify account? If you give a reseller MODIFY ACCOUNT there are only 4 fields lised;

Domain Name - not changable
    Theme - changable
    Language - changable
    Username - Questionable as to weather this works. It really messed up one of our accounts when we tried it.

So where are all the other options? I think your confusing Create account with Modify Account.

#5 sexy_guy, Mar 26, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  6. xsenses

Are you a reseller?

7. xsenses

Edit: you were referencing reseller privilages only....sorry.

#7 xsenses, Mar 26, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  8. sexy_guy

No i am not but as i reported to you, only the first 4 fields show if we turn modify on, the top 4 on your example. Howcome?

9. xsenses

When you modify from root you only have the four options?
    The screenshot I posted was from root.

10. sexy_guy

The guy who asked the question asked why the Modify Account was not given to him. I said it was because there were only 4 fields that were modifyable anyway which he could do with the upgrade downgrade option. And i was correct. I can see why he didnt get it. We dont give the modify out to our resellers either, since there is one option called Themes which is the only field you can change.

11. xsenses

When I read your statement:

"The modify account function does nothing more then allow you to change the theme. Thats all you can do really. And if thats the case you can do that from the upgrade/downgrade option. Please, sombody correct me if im wrong."

which is incorrect when logged in as root. I guess I was just looking at it from the end perspective rather than a reseller.

Sorry for the confusion - must be time for some sleep....

12. elndave

elndave Registered

I am a reseller and I am not sure I understand why I cant modify one of my customers account. Lets say after I have the customer set up, he wants to add additional mysql, I would want to add that but dont have the ability.

If I were to change his package for just that feature, i would have to create a customer package for just him. I wouldnt want to modify the package he is on, as this would give the same to all customers on that package.

I have seen many threads on this, and think from the resellers point of view this is a very hot item. There has to be a solution that works for everyone.:confused:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

13. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yep, needed thing here (If possible)

We have a ticket in for it, just finding out the policy, limitation etc.

14. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Within the 'root' WHM (Reseller Center), if 'Account Modification' is checked for a Reseller (which it always should be) they will have access to: Domain Name, Theme, Language, UserName. In reality, they can change only the 'Theme, Username'.

To provide more options for Resellers 'Account Modification' the Server owner/operator must also check 'All Features (warning: root access)' for the Reseller and the majority are not going to do that. This is a limitation/feature of WHM -- depending upon how one looks at it.

Personally, I think it's a 'feature'. With the way WHM currently operates, I know I prefer to not give all the options available (in Account Modifications) to all Resellers. Access to Shell can be overidden (from 'my' specifications) and some knowledge/experience is advisable when making changes in this area. A similar example is 'Edit DNS Entries' which I don't allow Resellers acess to, because too many problems have been created in the past, from Resellers making changes and not having the knowledge/experience to understand what they are doing -- causing problems for the whole Server and more work for me. :)

As for Resellers changing a package to accommodate one of their Clients (i.e., providing extra mySQL), Resellers must think ahead and provide enough options within their current packages, so changing/providing packages only happens every Blue Moon. Their only alternative (at this time) is to either; ask their provider to make the change for them (which should not be a problem in most cases), or create a new package and changeover the Client in question to the new package.

15. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Rob, we aren't getting that deep here.

Resellers just want the ability to edit amount of FTP accounts, databases etc.

They feel the need here, and if possible it is asked about and wanted enough to impliment.

16. elndave

elndave Registered

Although I understand the need to plan packages smartly, there just are potentially too many combinations of all the account options to have a fit for everyone.

The point that im trying to get accross is, that when the parent company sells hosting accounts they can modify accounts at will without creating new packages. As a reseller, I would expect to be able to service my accounts with the same flexability. I think most resellers would agree. If I have create a new package for a user wanting 5 mysql, and another one for a user that wants more pop accounts and another more ftp accounts etc, I would end up having 100 packages. Since I use modernbill, the work to keep all the packages in both cpanel and modernbill in sync would be exhausting.

Bottom line, a reseller is selling just like the parent, and a reseller should be able to service his accounts equally as well.

Just my 7 cents worth.