The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IM for staff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by onlinesourceinc, Dec 31, 2012.

1. onlinesourceinc

onlinesourceinc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello. I'm brand new here, so first off... I hope I'm in the write section.

Basically what I'm trying to do is allow my staff to instant message each other. It's only 5 of us, but I want the chat sessions to be more private than Skype or AIM because it is for my business.

I was picturing something like AIM because of it connecting to aol.com or aim.com or whatever it does to send communication back and forth, it would connect to my server. I have a dedicated server (Linux, Php, MySQL) that I would like to host a "chat server" with. I assume that is what I need, a "chat server"?

I really have no idea how to get started. I have seen several instant messaging programs with "chat servers" but they seem to be built for LAN. I have 3 employees in one office and 2 others in other locations. They all need to be able to reach each other.

2. PlotHost

PlotHost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes, you can install a simple PHP script like phpfreechat.net. Password protect the directory.

3. STS Admin

STS Admin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can install openfire chat server /http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp and use it with spark client /http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/index.jsp