I'm getting a "forbidden" error 403 when trying to open my mp3 files

lenchik

Nov 15, 2006
I've just uploaded a few of my own mp3 files to the HTML public folder. These files were created by me and should work just fine.
However when I try to open them or download them I get an error message 403 - forbidden.
I don't know why or what to do about it. I checked "change permissions" on each file and both read and write is checked everywhere so what could be the problem?
I don't get this error message when trying to open a different type of file.
Please help.
Thanks

P.S. It's in the public_html directory and it has all 777.
How do I check with the file ownerships? I created these files on sounforge.
Thanks

Last edited:

tweakservers

Mar 30, 2006
check your error log via the cpanel and you should be able to get some clues on why the 404 pop up

bin_asc

Jul 18, 2005
Are you on dedicated server or shared hosting ? If on dedicated, owner permissions may be the problem. Check if your files are withing the same /home/user permissions ( check if the files are owned by the same user ). This is only for dedicated servers/vps. This may be one solution to your problem.

lenchik

Nov 15, 2006
Seems like permissions on your directory. Give 777 for the directory which you have uploaded your files to.

You checked with the permissions of file, did you check with the file ownerships?
It's in the public_html directory and it has all 777.
How do I check with the file ownerships? I created these files on sounforge.
Thanks

lenchik

Nov 15, 2006
Are you on dedicated server or shared hosting ? If on dedicated, owner permissions may be the problem. Check if your files are withing the same /home/user permissions ( check if the files are owned by the same user ). This is only for dedicated servers/vps. This may be one solution to your problem.
Thanks for helping.
I uploaded the same files to the yahoo web site and they work just fine.
All the mp3 files were created by me on Soundforge so I think I'm the owner.
How do I do what you suggested before?
Thanks

lenchik

Nov 15, 2006
check your error log via the cpanel and you should be able to get some clues on why the 404 pop up
Hi again,

The error code I get is not 404 but 403 - "Forbidden"
I click on Web/FTP stats and then on Error Log - It is empty...
When I click on Latest Visitors, it lists the mp3 files with the HTTP code 403
By the way, maybe this has something to do with it: File Type: MP3 file with ID3 version 2.3.0 tag

Thanks

anushkumar

May 14, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Think you need help with an administrator, contact your system administrator or your hosting company regarding this.

Your file ownerships should be your username

in command line, it looks like

username.username

bin_asc

Jul 18, 2005
anushkumar, dunno if advertising is allowed in nonadvertising areas.
For lenchik. Log in SSH, go to your public_html folder.
Type : ls -l. It should list all the files, including your mp3. Look at the files and see what users is listed : user user it should be. If they aren`t set to the right user, do
chown user:user filename.ext
filename.ext is the file you want to change ownership.

lenchik

Nov 15, 2006
anushkumar, dunno if advertising is allowed in nonadvertising areas.
For lenchik. Log in SSH, go to your public_html folder.
Type : ls -l. It should list all the files, including your mp3. Look at the files and see what users is listed : user user it should be. If they aren`t set to the right user, do
chown user:user filename.ext
filename.ext is the file you want to change ownership.
Thanks for your help but somehow I am not able to log on in SSH. Is there another way?
My provider is superuser.net. They don't seem to answer emails or calls so I'm stuck.
Thanks again