The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in a real pickle with WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wacnstac, Mar 11, 2003.

1. wacnstac

wacnstac Well-Known Member

Here's the deal. I want to use WHM's feature which allows one to copy whole accounts from one server to another. In this case from my old servers to my new server. Not knowing anything about how this copy feature worked, I went in and first created an account on my new server having the same username that I have on my two existing accounts on the two different servers.

Now stay with me here.... when I try to use WHM's copy feature of course the first thing it tells me is that I can't do it because I have a username collision (msports and msports). Now assuming I delete the small account that I already have on my new server that has the msports username, I will still run into this problem when I copy the second of my two large accounts over using WHM's copy feature.

I would really like to use this feature as I understand it will preserve file permissions, SQL databases and users all in one fell swoop. Please tell me there is a way around this pickle I am in.

Steve

2. wacnstac

Somebody must have run into this problem before.

3. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

I'm semi-confused about your problem. When you delete the account on the new server (the smaller one), do you still get the error when trying to move the site to the new server? I've moved plenty of accounts in the past and have run into very few problems.

4. wacnstac

No when I delete the small account on my new server that happened to have the same name I did not have this error, but there is still a major problem as I have a second large account from a third server that I need to copy to my new server that ALSO has the same username. This sucks. I have a new dedicated server and it's basically unusable to me at this time.

5. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

Ahh...I see 3 servers involved....It isn't possible to rename an account, so I'm not sure how to handle this situation :(

6. wacnstac

Basically I'm screwed. I have a new dedicated server with WHM that I basically can't use!

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

There may be one possibility. Can you rename the account on the other server first, or is it also using cpanel?

If it's also using cpanel and you are desperate, you could rename the account on your new server the way I renamed one once. I just copied everything used by the account to a temporary location, deleted the account and created it with the new name, then copied all the temp stuff back. It works for most of the account features.