The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not being allowed to add relayers for exim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariskhan, Aug 7, 2006.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2004

I'v tried putting in host-IP email-address in /etc/relayhostsusers and host-IP in /etc/relayhosts, so exim would allow me to configure who relays through this server, but everytime as soon as I save changes and quit the editor the above two mentioned files get over-written.

I can only conclude that the above mentioned two files are constantly getting over-written to prevent the system from hosting invalid or malicious relayers accessing our server.

How can I safely add relayers;

1) host IPs
    2) email addresses

such that WHM/cpanel or whatever it is that is over-writing or securing these files, doesn't over-write my settings
  2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You safely add relayers by using SMTP Authentication, where their mail client gives a password to allow it to relay, or by using POP-before-SMTP which is where successful authentication for POP allows SMTP from the same IP address for a while.

Putting fixed IP addresses into those files isn't the way to go, they're rebuilt regularly to assist with POP-before-SMTP detection. Do you really need to do it via IP? I'd say that's fraught with danger!