The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm ordering a new server, which OS should I choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vatoloco, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco Well-Known Member

I'm going to order a new server from theplanet and they give me multiple options for the operating system. Which one do I want to pick for cPanel?

1) CentOS Enterprise Linux, Version 4
    2) CentOS Enterprise Linux, Version 5
    3) Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Version 4
    4) Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Version 5

They also charge me $25/month for cPanel. Is that normal now? When I ordered my last server from them (back when they were still ev1servers) they didn't charge any extra fee for cPanel.

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

I would recommend CentOS Enterprise Linux, Version 5. This is what I have on all of our and clients new servers.

May be at that time they were offering a free cPanel with the server but now they are offering cPanel for a fee and fee is normal.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

first of all when it was evil1 believe it or not it was an ok company. you are NUTS going back there IMHO. but yes $25/month for cpanel does seem cheap :D

I would go with RHEL5

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If RHE isn't any more expensive, then that would be the better bet as you would then get support from RedHat. Otherwise CentOS would be fine. As for whether to go with 4 or 5 - it doesn't matter too much from an OS support standpoint, but v5 would be better for supporting new hardware and probably kernel optimisation.

5. Vatoloco

Thanks for the help. There was no price difference between RedHat and CentOS but I took some advice from a friend before checking this thread and already went with CentOS 5. Oh well, I probably should have stuck with RedHat since it was what I used before but CentOS seems okay so far. I just wanted to make sure it would work with cPanel and it seems to be fine.

I should also be able to download CentOS for free and play with a copy of it myself on a local machine for testing. Hopefully that way I'll be able to learn a little more about the OS on this server.

6. Vatoloco

I'm thinking you were right. I still haven't been able to take this server live because it isn't showing the full 4 gigs of RAM. I've had a ticket open with them for 18 hours now and they told me it has to be brought down to single user mode to run tests. I don't know if it really takes that long to run memory tests but if I had actually been using this for my live website, I wouldn't be too happy right now.

Any suggestions for other hosting providers that offer dedicated servers for good prices?

7. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I would reccomend CentOS Enterprise Linux, Version 4.5 it is the most secure and has the longest life.

We use it on all of our servers.

8. pourrien

pourrien Member

lol
    Hi m8,
    There are no difference btw Redhat and centos. The only thing is for Redhat Entreprise you must pay a license but Centos is free distribution base on Redhate entreprise.
    for more information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

But the better choice is Centos05.
    Regards
    Pourrien