Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

ImageMagick 7 with PHP bindings

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Nick Fenwick, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nick Fenwick

Nick Fenwick Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all, I've seen lots of threads around this subject, so just to show I've done some research:

forum.remirepo.net/viewtopic.php?pid=10316#p10316
    - my thread on this subject on Remi's forum (but I suspect this problem is not his responsibility)

forumweb.hosting/13983-how-to-install-imagemagick-on-centos.html'
    - installs the Remi rpm's for ImageMagick command line tools, but does not talk about PHP bindings

stackoverflow.com/questions/31933348/imagemagick-install-problems-in-centos
    - talks about downloading and building from source, which is not preferred if a package manager method is available

askubuntu.com/questions/858472/fatal-error-class-imagick-not-found
    - addresses the 'Class Imagick not found' issue but doesn't cover my case

I need to run ImageMagick 7 on my cPanel managed server, because as far as I can tell the version ImageMagick-6.7.8.9-15.el7_2.x86_64 that comes by default does not include the lcms delegate. We have a media company delivering CMYK images to us that we need to convert on the fly to sRGB color space, and this fails when lcms is not available.

I don't have any experience of the cPanel packaging strategy, or what PHP packages ought to look like on a Centos system, but I did install a pure Centos 7.2 system on a VM and the package names differ from what I'm seeing on my cPanel managed Centos 7.2 system.

So, I can add the remi repository to my system, and install ImageMagick7 and ImageMagick7-libs from remi, no problem, and get the command line tools, which work and show the lcms delegate now available (great!) but after restarting httpd and php-fpm I get "PHP Fatal error: Class 'Imagick' not found".

Looking into more of the comments on stackoverflow.com/questions/31933348/imagemagick-install-problems-in-centos I noticed there are exclusions in the yum config on our system:

# grep -r exclude /etc/yum*
    /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf:#exclude=.gov, facebook
    /etc/yum.conf:exclude=courier* dovecot* exim* filesystem httpd* mod_ssl* mydns* nsd* p0f php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* spamassassin* squirrelmail*

So any packages beginning with php will be excluded. I think this is why the remi repository packages for things like php-pecl-imagick are not being installed.

I see that the php packages I _do_ currently have all start with 'ea-', e.g. ea-php56-php-fpm. The remi repository packages are supposed to be 'drop-in' replacements for core Centos packages, but their names don't match the ones on my system.

So, what is the official cPanel-approved way of installing ImageMagick 7 with PHP bindings, please?

#1 Nick Fenwick, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  2. Nick Fenwick

Nick Fenwick Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I came to the conclusion that I do not need ImageMagick7 at all .. all I need is an ImageMagick with the lcms delegate installed, and the version in the remi repositories do have this (both version 6 and 7).

Also, when using cPanel we do not need to install the php-pecl-imagick package, which would provide imagick.so and thus enable the PHP bindings. Instead one should use the Module Installer page in WHM to re-install (or install for the first time) the imagick PECL, which will download its source code and compile it for you. (this explains why 'rpm -q --whatprovides imagick.so' reported that no package owned imagick.so on my system)

I did not have to enable any of Remi's php repositories, or replace any system packages other than the ImageMagick ones, which was a relief. No need to remove the "php*" exclusion in yum.conf.

See forum.remirepo.net/viewtopic.php?pid=10339 for my investigation and solution.

# yum remove ImageMagick
    # yum --enablerepo=remi install ImageMagick6-devel
    -- Go to WHM control panel as described here PHP PECL - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation and click 'reinstall' for the imagick PECL.
    -- restart httpd with:
    # /scripts/restartsrv_apache_php_fpm
    # /scripts/restartsrv_httpd

#2 Nick Fenwick, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Nick Fenwick

I'm really glad you found the solution to your issue and thank you very much for posting it here in such great detail, it's much appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...